Whats you best football match memory?

Yeah I can remember the result, but the team, or fine details? ........ no chance!! :(

Who's your mate, and who scored for both teams that day?

You're better than me at finding that stuff, and quicker.

My mate is called Tony Young I will ask him.

Yeah I can remember the result, but the team, or fine details? ........ no chance!! :(

Who's your mate, and who scored for both teams that day?

You're better than me at finding that stuff, and quicker.

Reading a thread in here about when Sheffield Wednesday played Santos (& Pele) back in the 70's, (I was there), has got me thinking back to when the Owls played that wonderful match against Manchester United in the 1960's when the Owls won 5-4.

I was at this match and consider it to be the best football match I ever saw. Sadly time has erased most of my memory of it and I would love it if someone else in here who was also at the match could help remind me of more of the match details.

What i can remember, (I think?) ...........

There was over 54,000 fans in the ground.

The Owls Jack Whittam scored four. (who got the other?)

Bestie & Charlton scored two each (or am I wrong on that).

It was a lovely sunny day!.

I remember we didn't get into the ground while bang on kick off because my brother's Austin Heeley Sprite sports car broke down on the way and we just made it on time.

I would love to know both team line-ups that day, who were the managers, how the scoring went and stuff like that. I've long searched the net hoping to find mention but up to now alas no such luck.

There muse be a Wednesday fan out there who can help bring back some great memories.

UP THE OWLS.

Check this thread out mate.

My mate is called Tony Young I will ask him.

Cheers Alex

I got the United scorers, Macari 2, Houston and Pearson.

McCalliog played for Man Utd that day an'all. Loved him when he was at Hillsborough.

Top player for us.

Edited by Earwiggo

Cheers Alex

I got the United scorers, Macari 2, Houston and Pearson.

McCalliog played for Man Utd that day an'all. Loved him when he was at Hillsborough.

Top player for us.

Just watched all the goals on yutube, McCalliog got the equaliser for Man UTD. in 1974 to make it 4-4.

ALL 8 GOALS HERE FOR YOU WIGGY.

Just watched all the goals on yutube, McCalliog got the equaliser for Man UTD. in 1974 to make it 4-4.

ALL 8 GOALS HERE FOR YOU WIGGY.

Man U's own record site must be wrong then, Macari 2, Houston and Pearson they've got???? :huh:

Cheers for the link. :thumbsup:

He does say Macari for the equaliser ....... not McCalliog.

Must have heard it wrong, it is good to watch isn't it?

I was at that game and the 5-4 one with my Grandad, we used to go to the Lane one weekend and Hillsborough the next, I never knew he was a wednesday fan until after he died.

Must have heard it wrong, it is good to watch isn't it?

I was at that game and the 5-4 one with my Grandad, we used to go to the Lane one weekend and Hillsborough the next, I never knew he was a wednesday fan until after he died.

You're sounding like one of those real 'old timers' Lane one week, Hillsborough the next. :hihi:

Mi dad did that for a while, he was 100% Owl though.

He always used to say, (at that time, and for years after) that Jimmy Hagan was the best footballer he'd ever seen.

Bit like me saying Currie was better than Waddle ....... :o

Trouble is, thousands of Wednesdayites agreed with my dad at the time.

Some player then owd Jimmy. :)

Edited by Earwiggo

Some games that stand out for me other than the obvious semi final, play off final, west ham 5-0, Derby double are -

First game I remember attending Wednesday v villa 91 big rons first game in charge of villa.

Brentford away play off semi second leg

Beat Watford 4 - 1 in league cup quarters Phil o'donnell getting the 4th.

Worst feeling after a football game remember it clear as anything drawing 3-3 at Derby after going 3-1 up in 89th that as good as relegated us that season.

Most of the obvious ones already mentioned but I'll throw in Blackburn away in the 93 League Cup Semi -Final

4-2, brilliant performance and atmosphere. It was the time when Warhurst seemed to score with every touch

Also for total entertainment, 3-3 with Liverpool in 1998. A young Michael Owen scored a hattrick and ripped us apart with his pace