Whats you best football match memory?

The draw at hillsborough was 2-2 on 17th of January 1984 the first time you had played Liverpool for 14 years, the replay was on the 25th of January when you lost 3-0. This was in the league cup and amazingly the only time you have played Liverpool in a cup competition since "The wednesday" beat Liverpool 1-0 in the fa cup in March 1907.

I think you also got promoted in 1984.

Throughout the replay at anfield,we were chanting "WEL BE BACK AGAIN NEXT YEAR" Of course we won promotion,after a late stutter gave the title to chelsea and we were back next year,and WON 2-0,shelton and varadi,great day out,despite losing a wheel off the car!!

In reality,we should have won the 1st game,payed them far too much respect,and got denied a clear pen for handball,and missed numerous chances,and during a spell before and after half time,had them under intense pressure.

Edited by staninoodle

Throughout the replay at anfield,we were chanting "WEL BE BACK AGAIN NEXT YEAR" Of course we won promotion,after a late stutter gave the title to chelsea and we were back next year,and WON 2-0,shelton and varadi,great day out,despite losing a wheel off the car!!

In reality,we should have won the 1st game,payed them far too much respect,and got denied a clear pen for handball,and missed numerous chances,and during a spell before and after half time,had them under intense pressure.

When you beat them 2-0 at anfield in the league it was the same year as the cup final at the begining of the new season, September 29th 1984.

You drew 1-1 at hillsborough the following Febuary.

When you beat them 2-0 at anfield in the league it was the same year as the cup final at the begining of the new season, September 29th 1984.

You drew 1-1 at hillsborough the following Febuary.

The return game was quite possibly the only time i felt very unsafe at hillsbro,the offical crowd was 48k or so,but the kop was absolutely rammed,noboddy got to the bog at half time,infact noboddy moved,you litterally couldnt shift a muscle,and to be honest,everyone around me was dreading us scoring,which marwood later did.

I stood the entire game like a tin soldier,arms by my side,and a few got over the kop wall because of breathing difficulties.

The gatemen obviously pocketed a few extra quid,but it was beyond bieng unsafe.

The draw at hillsborough was 2-2 on 17th of January 1984 the first time you had played Liverpool for 14 years, the replay was on the 25th of January when you lost 3-0. This was in the league cup and amazingly the only time you have played Liverpool in a cup competition since "The wednesday" beat Liverpool 1-0 in the fa cup in March 1907.

I think you also got promoted in 1984.

Your knowledge is invaluable.

I often think you've not needed to Google it .................... but I'll never know.

Cheers Alex! :thumbsup:

Another top game was against Liverpool in the cup, against all the odds, we drew at Hillsborough.

Followed them to Anfield for the replay, great away day, but we lost 3-0 I think.

The Wednesday support that day was out of this world.

Post no 48 is 'very interesting'.

Was that the match where grobbelear was conducting the wednesday fans singing we,ll be back we,ll be back while liverpool were up the other end of the pitch. top bloke grobbelear.

73 away v palace in a cup replay at villa park or birmingham , or somewhere round there . joicey hat trick if i remember rightly, we wre petrified of the mighty don rodgers but he never got a kick, won 3 . 2 , brilliant night !!

73 away v palace in a cup replay at villa park or birmingham , or somewhere round there . joicey hat trick if i remember rightly, we wre petrified of the mighty don rodgers but he never got a kick, won 3 . 2 , brilliant night !!

It was actually Villa Park. I was at De La Salle in the 5th year and our class organised a coach .

It was actually Villa Park. I was at De La Salle in the 5th year and our class organised a coach .

You actually went 45 years never playing palace up until 1969 and then played them loads of times in the FA cup and league.

yeah i was at that game,there was roadworks close to the ground,despite them bieng red,the tuns of owls cars just kept going through,the line the otherside stretched back miles:hihi:

we were on the holt end,vastly outnumbered the palace fans,joicey notched the winner in extra time,was a long journey for us,wed gone in my bros mini,which kept overheating so we all peed in a bottle to fill up the radiator,constantly stopping on the m1:)

I worked with Brian Joicey,just after he retired,in the car trade,worked together many years as did my dad.

i was at his barnsley testamonial.when a sheffield XI took on a Barnsley XI,curran,de goey,sabella jeff king all played,was a good nite,the takings came to about 4.5 grand,Allan clarke put all the gate money,coppers,notes in a suitcase and topped it up to a round 5 grand,we had to count the whole lot!

after the game,we went in the players lounge and mixed with those whod played,i already knew Ronnie Glavin well through brian,but one guy who thoroughly disgraced the night,AND himself was big sam ellis,a player from my childhood who i never rated,he was VERY,VERY drunk and kept exposing himself infront of players and some of the wives,a few threatened him,not least glavin.

small wonder my dad always called him big daft sam:hihi::hihi: