Public transport to Netherthorpe airfield?

I wonder if anyone can offer me some help. I have a keen interest in aviation and would like to go to Netherthorpe airfield (just to watch) but I don't own a car. Does anyone know of any public transport that goes directly from Sheffield to Netherthorpe (or to a nearby destination that's a comfortable walking distance for a middle-aged bloke like me!) as I can't find any on the net that does?

Alternatively, if I was lucky enough to be offered a lift there and back I would gladly pay half the petrol cost. I live the South(ish) side of Sheffield - near the old Abbeydale Cinema - and can go any day that's convenient for you.

Phanks..... Phil

Mobile: 07796365729

Mugshot of me on my homepage:

http://home.clara.net/patty/phil/

Guest sibon
I wonder if anyone can offer me some help. I have a keen interest in aviation and would like to go to Netherthorpe airfield (just to watch) but I don't own a car. Does anyone know of any public transport that goes directly from Sheffield to Netherthorpe (or to a nearby destination that's a comfortable walking distance for a middle-aged bloke like me!) as I can't find any on the net that does?

Alternatively, if I was lucky enough to be offered a lift there and back I would gladly pay half the petrol cost. I live the South(ish) side of Sheffield - near the old Abbeydale Cinema - and can go any day that's convenient for you.

Phanks..... Phil

Mobile: 07796365729

Mugshot of me on my homepage:

http://home.clara.net/patty/phil/

The closest that you will get is Shireoaks. You can get the train there from Sheffield.

Then walk back up the canal to Turner Wood and over to Netherthorpe. It is a couple of miles, but a lovely walk.

There's a 271 bus goes from crystal peaks in the day time to Worksop which passes a few 100 yards from the airfield, it's operated by Veolia Transport if that helps..

3 options suggested by TravelSouthYorkshire

1: Rail+Walk (1 hour from Sheffield Interchange)

Train to Shireoaks (departing Sheffield at 44 past the hour to Lincoln Central)

Walk about 30mins from Shireoaks Train Staion

2: Rail+Bus (1 hour 15 mins from Sheffield Interchange)

Change for bus #271 towards Crystal Peak at the bus stop named St Lukes View (South-west bound and 150m away from the station). The bus calls there at 47mins past the hour.

3. Bus and Bus (1 hour 20mins from Sheffield Interchange)

Catch the hourly X5 (Sheffield Interchange to Dinnington) and alight at the stop next to the M1 motorway bridge on School Road. Change there at the same bus stop for bus #271 towards Crystal Peak, which calls there at 51 past the hour.

For method 2 and 3, You should ask the driver of service 271 to stop at the closest stop to the airfield, which is only 1 mile away from Shireoaks station. The bus stop is a few hundred metres away from the airfield.

If you're going from around Crystal Peaks, you should catch service 271 from Crystal Peaks.

3 options suggested by TravelSouthYorkshire

1: Rail+Walk (1 hour from Sheffield Interchange)

Walk about 30mins from Shireoaks Train Staion

2: Rail+Bus (1 hour 15 mins from Sheffield Interchange)

Change for bus #271 towards Crystal Peak at the bus stop named St Lukes View (South-west bound and 150m away from the station). The bus calls there at 47mins past the hour.

3. Bus and Bus (1 hour 20mins from Sheffield Interchange)

Catch the hourly X5 (Sheffield Interchange to Dinnington) and alight at the stop next to the M1 motorway bridge on School Road. Change there at the same bus stop for bus #271 towards Crystal Peak, which calls there at 51 past the hour.

For method 2 and 3, You should ask the driver of service 271 to stop at the closest stop to the airfield, which is only 1 mile away from Shireoaks station. The bus stop is a few hundred metres away from the airfield.

If you're going from around Crystal Peaks, you should catch service 271 from Crystal Peaks.

There's a 271 bus goes from crystal peaks in the day time to Worksop which passes a few 100 yards from the airfield, it's operated by Veolia Transport if that helps..

The closest that you will get is Shireoaks. You can get the train there from Sheffield.

Then walk back up the canal to Turner Wood and over to Netherthorpe. It is a couple of miles, but a lovely walk.

Thanks SIBON DAZWIN 222MERIDIAN for your help. It's difficult to get to Crystal Peaks from here so I think I'll go for the Shireoaks train and walk option. Phanks again..... Phil

Archived