America on holiday-any advice where to go?

Hi

We have thought about going and stopping on international drive. We would like to go to the parks.

Monument Valley (Utah) would be on my list. Used for many a western and the recent Doctor Who story.

The Grand Canyon (Arizona) is supposed to be awe inspiring.

The Smithsonian in Washington, particularly the Air and Space building. The Wright brothers plane, the Spirit of St. Louis, the Enola Gay, the Apollo 11 command module and the USS Enterprise (first space shuttle).

I didnt ask what international drive was like in regards to not having a car did I. Try reading. I asked if I wanted to go anywhere outside international drive and the parks whether it be possible without a car! I also asked if this is the best place to stay for other things as well. :roll:

How big is America?

How big is International Drive?

Which is bigger?

You could always consider going to Truth or Consequences.

If you decide to go to Hawaii, make sure you get a decent exchange rate on your Hawaiian money when you come back. Some people will rip you off!

If you decide to go to T or C, you may consider a side trip to the boot heel.

Watch out for the Gila monsters.

(and I'm not kidding.)

Watch out for Grattlesnails, too. (My son found a 'grattlesnail' in a crapper. - Fortunately, he heard it and ran out and told me. I told him to pee in a bush.)

He also saw a few 'Dead Ends'. (Raccoons, but he saw one under a sign which said 'Dead End' - and it was certainly dead.)

unless you have kids avoid disneyland. Key west and Miami are fabulous, as is San Fransisco. Didnt like LA, loved vegas, liked St petes beach, there is so much to go at in America.

Key West is expensive. - Try Isla Morada on the way down. Everything Key West has to offer (apart from men holding hands) and at half the price.

It's a huyooge country. There's more to do and more to see than you can fit into one lifetime. - Let alone 2 or 3 weeks.

Hi

We have thought about going and stopping on international drive. We would like to go to the parks. A friend of our went and she said every other day they went to a park, on the days they didnt they relaxed by the hotels pool and ate on international drive at night and shopped on there.

This sounds good, however i would like to see parts of america as well, like going to a shopping mall or a proper pie cafe in the middle of nowhere. HOWEVER neither of us can drive so i imagine this being a problem.

Also if you have stayed on international drive which hotels do you recommend?

Is international drive the best place to stay or would you recommend somewhere else in america close by to the parks?

THANKS

As you dont drive, it can limit you and what you can do and when you do it. Working around American public transport isnt the easiest (especially in Florida where its almost non-existent) but if theres a will theres a way

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g34515-s303/Orlando:Florida:Public.Transportation.html

Is good start as per the page:

Orlando regional public transportation system is called LYNX, a public bus system that services all of Central Florida. LYNX bus stops are often marked by a round sign with either a pink paw or pink bus symbol. Standard bus fare is $2 per person one way, with free transfers. You can get daily passes on the bus ($4.50) and weekly passes for $16 which have to be bought in advance, either on the web or from certain outlets in the area. In addtion, LYNX also offers a free bus system within Downtown Orlando called LYMMO. If you plan on using LYNX it is strongly recommended that you visit the official website for route information: http://www.golynx.com or call 407-841-LYNX

For visitors staying on International Drive, there is a summary of bus service provision here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34...

In addition to LYNX, there is also the IRIDE Trolley bus system on International Drive. The IRIDE only services International Drive and is mostly geared towards tourists.

For visitors staying in Walt Disney World, there is a summary of bus services here:

For visitors staying is certain parts of Lake Buena Vista, there is a summary of bus services here:

And for people on or near US192 in Kissimmee, bus information is here:

The local governments have plans to build a Commuter Rail system that should open around 2013. The Commuter Rail system will connect the entire I4 corridor from the north Orlando area all the way down to Walt Disney World.

For Private Transportation, it is recommended that you contact Orlando Transportation & Tours Inc. You can call toll free 1-866-351-9991

Hope this is a starting point

International Drive is in Orlando, Florida and is central for Disneyland, Universal Studios, Sea World and others. Not sure how you would get around if you don't drive as I'm not sure about the public transport in that area. It's designed for holiday makers with cars.

Plenty of restaurants, etc but no culture, etc

If you want to see other parts of America you'll need to fly to a different part but you'd need to decide what parts you want to see. There is so much variation !!

DisneyLAND is not in Florida, it's in California.

Thank you. From reading tripadvisor it seems international drive

Is Great without a car as there are shuttles up and down to all parks so

Think we will go there

:)

As you dont drive, it can limit you and what you can do and when you do it. Working around American public transport isnt the easiest (especially in Florida where its almost non-existent) but if theres a will theres a way

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g34515-s303/Orlando:Florida:Public.Transportation.html

Is good start as per the page:

Hope this is a starting point

DisneyLAND is not in Florida, it's in California.

Thank you. From reading tripadvisor it seems international drive

Is Great without a car as there are shuttles up and down to all parks so

Think we will go there

:)

I don't know what the fuss is about International drive :huh: it's just a long stretch of road, you see quite a few slums and trailer parks on the way, just gets a bit better the closer you get to Disney.

Anyhow we don't get tourists in Connecticut where I live, nothing to do but look at the lovely scenery and nice waterfronts :love:

The Grand Canyon (Arizona) is supposed to be awe inspiring.

it is, but it's so huge you really need to travel along the rim or even go down into the canyon to get the scale of it.

I don't know what the fuss is about International drive :huh: it's just a long stretch of road, you see quite a few slums and trailer parks on the way, just gets a bit better the closer you get to Disney.

Anyhow we don't get tourists in Connecticut where I live, nothing to do but look at the lovely scenery and nice waterfronts :love:

I'll take Connectictut in spring or fall anytime over Disneyworld which is choc a bloc full of tourists paying outrageous prices

Archived