NHS and 'urgent' mental health issues

I have, it was the loss of my nephew, he was given to the earth this gone thursday, and this had finaly tipped the balance.

I've had many problems - and I onion things - I form a layer around it - this time it broke - and I wanted help - I know I heed help.

Out of hours can only give me my AD's (which I havent needed for about 4 months) at my local Boots..

In the morning.

Yay.

Looks like an emergency apointment with a doctor still...

Out of hours can refer you to Sheffield Care trust, but they are not always very co-operative.

If you're that bad A&E is another option.

I have, it was the loss of my nephew, he was given to the earth this gone thursday, and this had finaly tipped the balance.

I've had many problems - and I onion things - I form a layer around it - this time it broke - and I wanted help - I know I heed help.

Out of hours can only give me my AD's (which I havent needed for about 4 months) at my local Boots..

In the morning.

Yay.

Looks like an emergency apointment with a doctor still...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and the pain you are suffering. if you think it would help to talk to someone now you could call the Samaritans on 0114 276 7277 (the Sheffield branch closed at 10pm but it will get put through to a branch that is open). A friend did this in the middle of the night a few months ago and they were very helpful. Chatting to someone might help you cope until you can see your own GP on Tuesday

earlier today phoned NHS direct as I had a severe depression episode - and they passed me onto a nurse, the nurse passed me onto the GP colaberative - i phoned the NHS direct over 2 hours ago. Severe depression with suicidal thoughts that I was trying to ignore?

Not critisising the staff but the system - it seems to try to prioritise - die now or later? Later you get onto a different department - asked the same info - ect... Less chance of help should it be needed. ect.

Edit: From the referal from NHS direct also it took a long time for the details to transfer.

Been there with you, although when I first realized I needed help I rang them, by the time they'd passed me around to different people, I went from wanting to kill myself from wanting to kill them ( IN NO WAY IS THAT INTENDED TO BE A JOKE), so it actually helped me in a weird kind of way.

Hope your feeling better now :)

Contact your GP who will get you into the community health system via a referral, they have a duty team / crisis team , but your GP would be the way to go if you are a sufferer of depression and feeling that low.

You can't get your own GP out of office hours though

earlier today phoned NHS direct as I had a severe depression episode - and they passed me onto a nurse, the nurse passed me onto the GP colaberative - i phoned the NHS direct over 2 hours ago. Severe depression with suicidal thoughts that I was trying to ignore?

Not critisising the staff but the system - it seems to try to prioritise - die now or later? Later you get onto a different department - asked the same info - ect... Less chance of help should it be needed. ect.

Edit: From the referal from NHS direct also it took a long time for the details to transfer.

Do you not have anyone you can turn to, to help you through this until those in the medical profession can help you?

does your name begin with a "j"? i think i know who you are if your the person i think you are i spoke to you on the shops last week and you told me what happened my thoughts are with you and family pm me back if it is you and we will sort something out for meeting up for a chat im near you anyway x

You can't get your own GP out of office hours though

there is 24/7/365 primary care services across the Uk, given that most GP practices use a common IT system which OOH providers and acute trusts also have access , this argument is somewhat of an empty one...

Thanks for the turn out - I'm feeling a lot better, putting up another layer as I call it.

Recieved my Citalopram and took the pill for the day, not had any thoughts of self harm - was at the time of posting clinging to sanity (last time I seriously lost that grip on sanity many years ago I went to Scotland and tried to pass to the next world) - but I now know how my mind works and how to protect it.

Thank you all for your advice, info and offers of help - it was a short time of "whap-depression" time, and I think I'm better now, it's just how the NHS dealt with it at the time which I was not impressed with.

I am back on the pills, working things out, thanks again - and all the best.

Archived