Advice regarding thieving so and so..

I would be very careful with the police trip thingy, its not like the old days where you could take the kid in and friendly plod gave them a warning, they will want to know which shop and might then contact the owners and things can get out of hand.

Hmmm I agree with this I think the police will take it very seriously so they aren't seen to be being soft ! Sit him down and ask hm what the problem is and why he feels the need to steal things, he may explain himself to you and it will all be sorted. My brother was similar, stealing sweets etc when he was young but it didn't last long and he certainly wouldn't dream of stealing now :)

I would be very careful with the police trip thingy, its not like the old days where you could take the kid in and friendly plod gave them a warning, they will want to know which shop and might then contact the owners and things can get out of hand.

I agree. Unless you know a police officer who can have a chat I'd avoid going to the station. You only need to get one who's a bit of a so-and-so in order for things to get a bit difficult.. If the shop owners decide to make an issue then that's also not going to help.

I seems to recall there are some police people on here. You could always ask one.

Seems silly this, a good talking to from a policeman is just what your kid (and a lot of others) needs to nip this in the bud, but it's not the good old days any more.

What if the shops want to press charges?
I think it's very doubtful that they would want to give a 12 yr old child a criminal record. If a parent brought one of their kids in to me to apologise for stealing water bombs and marbles from me, I'd be happy to collude in scaring them silly, but I'd never dream of pressing charges :)

Many kids go through a stage of taking what's not theirs, but very few go on to a life of crime, imo.

The police aren't going to caution a 12 year old for stealing sweets.

The OP can't be sure of that. I mean honestly, it would just be one more crime to add to their 'solved' rate so they might just go for it.

Unless the OP has a cast iron guarantee that they won't caution him then she shouldn't take him to the police station. Having a caution against you can cause all types of problems later in life for example when applying for visas. The US asks if you have ever been arrested or cautioned for a crime no matter when it was committed or if the conviction is spent or not. If he wanted to get a job where an enhanced disclosure was needed such as working with children he'd have to disclose it. Also it would effectively bar him from becoming a policeman if he should ever want to.

It's unlikely that they would caution him but if I was the OP I would avoid it unless I was absolutely certain they wouldn't press charges because the problems it can cause that last a lifetime are big.

What will you do if the police take it really seriously and insist on giving him a caution? Cautions stay on your record, they're the same as being found guilty of a crime, afaik. That's quite a serious thing.

Wouldn't it be just as effective to take him to the shops to admit what he's been doing, and forfeit his pocket money until he's paid it all back.

Also, have you found out WHY? He could be being bullied into stealing by someone who's stealing from him. I'd take a little time to think things through before you start on him. After all, you've had the bringing up of him for 12 years, do you really think you raised a thief?

He stole because he wanted to.

End of!

It wont go unpunnshed and taking pocket money away isnt the answer.

Yes- the best way for him to realise that this IS a big deal and that you WON'T tolerate it is to not tolerate it and to treat it as a big deal. I'm sure that the local police will give him a stern talking to about where he could end up if he carries on.

Of course, this doesn't do anything to address the reasons why he's stealing so I think you need to follow up the stern warnings with some proper talking about what is going on in his life that makes him feel that stealing is OK.

He stole because he wanted something he didnt have the money for.

No other reason involved.

What upsets me is he never goes without. Always has nice things and when earned always has pocket money.

Be harsh, very harsh. A member of my family started stealing at this sort of age and his father never really took it seriously. Needless to say, 20 years and many crimes and heartache later and the thief is now dead after living a horrid life with very few friends and trustworthy people around him due to his thieving lifestyle.

Not sure what I would do but I do know addressing it early is the answer.

I totaly unerstand that possibility but in my opinion you reap what you sow and if it gets out of hand hes only got himself to blame.

Archived