Advice regarding thieving so and so..

I totaly unerstand that possibility but in my opinion you reap what you sow and if it gets out of hand hes only got himself to blame.

Not really, he's also got you to blame. Whilst I understand you wanting to teach your kid a lesson I find it worrying that your also willing to accept that things might get out of hand with the police over what is just a kid who made a childish mistake :roll:

I think a lot of children do go through a phase of pinching things, I stole a lipstick from a shop when I was about 11. It was such a stupid thing to do, because I couldn't even wear it, 'cos mum would have wanted to know where it came from.

I didn't get caught, but I didn't ever do it again, either, because the whole experience was too scary.

Your son does need cracking down on - whether it's a visit to the police station or a very stern talking to from you. Ask him how he would feel if somebody stole his things, and tell him how disappointed you are in him. You do need to punish him, too, but make sure you hit him where it hurts (metaphorically speaking, not literally!).

For instance, if he loves going out with his friends, ground him, if he's got a favourite game or item of clothing, confiscate it for a while. He needs to suffer a bit, so he understands his actions have consequences which he won't enjoy.

I doubt if these incidents are the start of a life of crime, especially since you're obviously determined to deal with it properly, rather than dismissing it as trivial.

Good luck.

I feel for you.

We have had problems with our teenager and agree with everything you say.

Just a point though, when my teenager got into trouble - (grafitti - 2cm of it)

the police asked us to go up to the policestation at an agreed time.

I called the station that morning and asked them to put the fear of god in her but to my amazment and disgust the 2 policeofficers were laughing and joking with her whilst we were there. She was not scared one bit.

And did it work? Did her visit to the police cure her or did she turn to a life of crime? People should not obey the law just because they are scared of the consequences of not obeying the law. They should obey the law because they see the value of obeying the law. In the case of the boy I think the best course of action is to ask him to appologise face to face with his sister and the shop owner and either re-pay them or do some work for them or both. I would not involve the police,it is none of their business.

You're being a bit harsh, imo. Calling your own 12 yr old a so-and-so and wanting to get him into trouble not only with the shop but with the police as well, something that could affect his future in myriad ways as someone else has also stated.

I'm glad you're not my dad! :( Did you never put a foot wrong in your young life?

You're being a bit harsh, imo. Calling your own 12 yr old a so-and-so and wanting to get him into trouble not only with the shop but with the police as well, something that could affect his future in myriad ways as someone else has also stated.

I'm glad you're not my dad! :( Did you never put a foot wrong in your young life?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Give your kid a bit of a beating and he will learn. No closed fists though, and no weapons. A kick on the bum and a slap round the back of the head should sort things.

Getting him to apologise to the shop man is good too

I HATE THIEVES!!!!!!!

Now ive just found out my 12 year old has been stealing from his sister and the local shop.

Sweets and money may not sound like much but i want to nip it in th bud NOW.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

My son was 12 when he first attempted stealing..my response was to call the local police station and without giving any details of who my son was I told them the situation. They arranged for me to take him there at an allocated time and they gave him a good talking to, was he given a caution - No! Was it documented at all - No!

All it did was frighten the life out of him as they explained where a life of crime would lead him.

I must admit that I did wonder if I was being a little harsh at the time but it worked, I couldn't wish for a more honest son now and he's never attempted stealing again and that was 3 years ago.

Archived