Tory Governments "back to work programme" is destined to fail

The Torys new back to work programme come into force in about 8 weeks time, how exactly is this going to work?

1) Not every wants to work, or can arrange work around their current lifestyle

2) Where will the jobs come from?

I'm guessing the long term unemployed will be targetted, however, who (which employer) will be prepared to employ someone who has been out of work for many years? surely they will be viewed as a risk.

I personally have been out of work since New Labour came to power in 1997, however many of the people I mix with/my drinking partners have been out of work since the 1980s, and indeed one has been unemployed since 1976. So who will employ someone like that?

SOme of my friends have been forced of incapacity, including one who suffers panic attacks if he knows he has to get out of bed at a certain time - if he knows he has to wake up at 7am to go to work, this could cause him to go into depression. New Labour accepted this as an illness, the torys won't - who will emloy someone who will suffer panic attacks?

Is this new programme not destined to fail? some people will find work ailen and simply will not be able to cope

What will be interesting is to see how many long term unemployed actually get jobs. Private companies will be paid up to £14,000 to help them back into work so the benefits budget will increase considerably.

Several million people who are now on incapacity benefit will be reassessed and may be classed as fit to work. Those will then become part of the unemployment figures when they weren't before.

So the effect of this is the unemployment figures increase, the benefits budget increases and private companies dealing with the influx of unemployed will gain.

I think you may be right that its destined to fail.

The Torys new back to work programme come into force in about 8 weeks time, how exactly is this going to work?

I'm guessing the long term unemployed will be targetted, however, who (which employer) will be prepared to employ someone who has been out of work for many years? surely they will be viewed as a risk.

I personally have been out of work since New Labour came to power in 1997, however many of the people I mix with/my drinking partners have been out of work since the 1980s, and indeed one has been unemployed since 1976. So who will employ someone like that?

SOme of my friends have been forced of incapacity, including one who suffers panic attacks if he knows he has to get out of bed at a certain time - if he knows he has to wake up at 7am to go to work, this could cause him to go into depression. New Labour accepted this as an illness, the torys won't - who will emloy someone who will suffer panic attacks?

Is this new programme not destined to fail? some people will find work ailen and simply will not be able to cope

Maybe new business ventures will be attempted.

Budgie breeding for example could provide an income and interest.

Maybe new business ventures will be attempted.

Budgie breeding for example could provide an income and interest.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has made the connection!!!

Perhaps Ladondole can use his connections to get a job at a further education college

If you've been out of work since 1997, nothing will help you into work other than withdrawing all of your benefits imo. It's not like jobs have not been there. Jobs don't come to you, you have to go out there and take yourself to the job. People travel from the other side of Europe know this and they come here even just to pull cabbages out of a field near Boston, so if you're low skilled why didn't you do that? It's not as far for you is it, than somebody coming in from Poland?

Would an employer still not choose someone who is younger, qualified and less of a risk?

If you were in charge of a business and you had two choices of candidate to work in your field, picking strawberrys - your two candidates were.....

1) young, completing a degree, wanting summer work to pay for uni, more fruit picked = more money earned, good work ethic, educated etc...

and

2) Unemployed since 1985, no qualifications, drink problem, no work history, poor health/fitness levels ( so cannot work for long periods), reluctant worker etc....

Who will be chosen for the job?

Would an employer still not choose someone who is younger, qualified and less of a risk?

If you were in charge of a business and you had two choices of candidate to work in your field, picking strawberrys - your two candidates were.....

1) young, completing a degree, wanting summer work to pay for uni, more fruit picked = more money earned, good work ethic, educated etc...

and

2) Unemployed since 1985, no qualifications, drink problem, no work history, poor health/fitness levels ( so cannot work for long periods), reluctant worker etc....

Who will be chosen for the job?

Number 2 would be gratefull for being given a job, would not need academic qualifications, his fitness levels would improve and he would lose his drink problem by not having the opportunity to drink. Working hard and also the opportunity to work long hours would help him financially. He would gain self pride and accumulate friends enriching his life.

As you only receive £650 per week(including benefits) now I think agricultural work or self employment as a budgie breeder would be worth exploring/

Archived