How would you deal with a hardcore hoarder?

I don't know whether tonight's programme was the one referred to above, but I did watch it. He was obviously a fairly extreme case, but it was nice to see people like the fire brigade take a bit more sensible line rather than just condemining his house as a fire hazard. Must say I'd sooner chat to the hoarding guy than the arrogant and supercilious councillor or the chap in charge of the Westcott in Bloom campaign, but then the program was somewhat slanted that way.

I also thought it ended a bit abruptly - what was the eventual outcome, I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the programme but I do tend to agree with Metalman, I did see pictures in a newspaper once of someone's living room stacked with newspaper and I consider that a fire hazard and a danger maybe to adjoining houses - other than the extremes it's a question of choice - I fill charity bags as much as I can and they are collected so don't have to cart things off to their shops

After watching the programme I felt sorry for the guy and thought it was great how he won the court case because of the real snobby villagers with no sympathy or willingness to understand his condition.

I can see the same traits and mindset in my uncle, and I'm now at my wits end because the landlord has gone ahead with an eviction notice because as he's broke the tenancy agreement by causing too many H&S obstructions and risks.

Archived