Do some people actually want to be seen as chavs?

The word chav is to my mind a demeaning and derogatory word I personally avoid using to describe as person. As much as I try to avoid this term there are so many people out there who seem to actually try to fit the stereotype, I just can’t understand why someone would make the effort to behave, dress and seemingly be this kind of person it confuses the hell out of me.

Could someone out there please enlighten as to the situation with this stereotype, perhaps someone who is or wants to be seen as a chav please explain what the attraction is.

I would appreciate it if people would be so kind as to not turn this post into just another non constructive personal hate crusade, I genuinely want to understand the reasons for this.

I would imagine the people you consider to fit the chav stereotype do not see this themselves as this. They may see others as chavs almost as if there are degrees of "chavness"

Indeed, a friend (chav) was talking to another friend about their girlfriends... He said "they're both alike though aren't they. Chavs"

Depends what you're (the OP) counting as chav-clothing, just about everyone owns trainers, a hoodie or some part of a tracksuit, and if thats what they want to wear then that's fine (IMO) it doesn't mean thay are a chav.

I've seen some people knocking about who clearly don't make any effort at all - unlike most of us- to look clean, presentable or maybe even hygienic, let alone 'classy', and so they obviously, in some cases, deliberately try to be rough looking ...chavs?

The word chav is to my mind a demeaning and derogatory word I personally avoid using to describe as person. As much as I try to avoid this term there are so many people out there who seem to actually try to fit the stereotype, I just can’t understand why someone would make the effort to behave, dress and seemingly be this kind of person it confuses the hell out of me.

Could someone out there please enlighten as to the situation with this stereotype, perhaps someone who is or wants to be seen as a chav please explain what the attraction is.

I would appreciate it if people would be so kind as to not turn this post into just another non constructive personal hate crusade, I genuinely want to understand the reasons for this.

I know some people that find it easy to live the "Chav" lifestyle because it is easy. They don't have to try and better themselves. I also think our society rewards bad behaviour rather than punishes it. We try to hard to pick the down and outs up. Hell, as a single working bloke I sometimes think life would be easier if I just went out and committed a few petty crimes and just behaved anti-socially. It wouldn't be long before someone started to excuse my behaviour because of something going on in my life and accordingly threw money at my problems.

You have made a big mistake in trying to understand something. There doesn't have to be a reason.

Just to further clarify the reason for my post is that yesterday I went to visit a friend and whilst on the tram I sat near a young lass dressed in a track suit clearly not designed for sport but more of a statement, with her feet up on the seats whilst talking loudly on her phone to another 'chav'.

This young lady's conversation was clearly about being a chav and how even her own mother thought she looked like a 'crack fiend' I ascertained from my eavesdropping that being a chav was to her a good thing. So that got me wondering if there is a chav culture in much the same way as someone in the past might have wanted to be something like a mod, rocker, punk or goth etc.

Its because your not a chav.

Look at it this way. If your white you cant understand things from a black perspective, if your straight you cant understand things from a gay perspective.

Be thankful my friend and rejoice at being a non-chav:D

something like a mod, rocker, punk or goth etc.

It's probably a similar thing, all the above 4 "groups" were frowned upon in their day, young people like to frowned upon.

Archived