Bents green school memories

• 5 months later...

I was at Bents Green Open Air School - that's what it was called then, around 1953/54.  It was Residential, at that time, for  children  with health problems. I was in the Children's Hospital, Sheffield, a number of times, with a collapsed lung. Many children had chest and breathing problems because of the Industry and poor air quality in some areas. The only teacher I remember, is Mr Bond.  We had to go for walks, frequently, and to church on Sunday...wearing the navy blue macs. 

I left BGS in 1974 and moved away from Sheffield a few years later. I still enjoy visiting when I'm in the area for the brilliant cafe (The hidden gem) which is housed in the old boys changing rooms adjacent to the playing field.  The food is beautiful, well worth a visit.

21 hours ago, Cornish cream said:

I was at Bents Green Open Air School - that's what it was called then, around 1953/54.  It was Residential, at that time, for  children  with health problems. I was in the Children's Hospital, Sheffield, a number of times, with a collapsed lung. Many children had chest and breathing problems because of the Industry and poor air quality in some areas. The only teacher I remember, is Mr Bond.  We had to go for walks, frequently, and to church on Sunday...wearing the navy blue macs. 

It was also known as an open air school when I started in '66. First thing monday mornings we had to run up to the round house, opposite the Norfolk arms, unaccompanied, in all weathers. The round house was a tuck shop in those days so we would stock up on sweets for the way back!

• 1 year later...
On 21/04/2005 at 10:42, chuffybear said:

looking for school friends from bentsgreen school around mid seventies, be nice to catch up with some of u guys, may know me better as mitch.

hi i was at bents green school in class 1p my name is tim owen .i remember a few pupils like tony powell,dave crookes,adrian staples,simon parkin,the flacks mark,dorothy,karen and the teachers mr stone,mr thomas,mr wossil and mr vardy and gooid old mr bailey and the schhol camp.it would be nice to try and get a renunion if possible.