Bents green school memories

Copestake had a reputation for being a real so-and-so. I remember my mother going ballistic about him doing some work (extractions) on my sister's teeth, without my mother's authorisation.

We had our own, family dentist who took care of our teeth, and Copestake had no business doing anything to my sister's teeth, not even an examination, never mind the extractions, (!!)

dentists have no right to touch you or treat you medically without your ma@s perrmission

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone

Newbie on here and came across this site by chance when trying to find some pictures of the rebuild on the old school and noticed quite a few posts on here re BG.

I left Sheffield many years ago and wasn't exactly a pupil at the school but it was my home for about 16 yrs.

Your posts brought back some great memories and reminders of some of the people and friends that I had forgotten about, would love to hear more stories from Bents Green Special School (as it was called then)

I was there from about 1963.

Anyone on here remember that era ?

My mate always told amusing stories from his stay there. He told us he went there after he had some kind of illness and his mum couldn't afford all the good food he needed to build him up. I'm not sure when he went though

There is loads about Bents Green School already on the forum, just use the search box. Mike.

Hi Mike-S

I have seen some of the other threads about BGS on here but most seemed to be from a while ago, can't recall you although your name sounds very familiar, see you regularly post on here.

I can remember Mandy Reynolds, Carol Foster, the Eastwoods, Dean, Darren and Lee, Joy Glossop, Pat Marsden, the two Johns and I can't remember their surnames but they were always together, June Mcdonald, Wayne Broadhurst who kept in touch with us for quite a while and many more who I'm sure will spring to mind eventually.

As I said I wasn't a pupil but I sure felt like one sometimes, we all seemed to have to muck in and I played with the boarders in the evenings, remember the Wreck and the Summer house, Fraisthorpe Camp and Monyash, etc

So lovely to see from other posts that most pupils appreciated their time there and felt it was a good chapter in their lives, we all had some excellent times didn't we.

I'm Fiona, Mr Baileys daughter.

---------- Post added 10-08-2013 at 22:38 ----------

Duffems

In response to your question.

We didn't live at the lodge at the side of the house, as far as I remember the caretakers usually lived there.

We lived in the heads flat our living room window overlooked the car park and adventure playground in what was the new part of the school at the time, although I think where our flat was would have actually been an original part of the old house maybe some out buildings which were incorporated into the new part.

I know our flat door opened opposite the assembly hall and was next door to the new showers.