Aldi speedy checkouts

But surely if you're rushing all your customers through the checkout to pack their items on the shelf then a queue to pack your items will form thus defeating the object.

There's more packing shelf space than checkout space. Simple when you think about it.;)

• 1 month later...

If you Google 1200 items aldi you will get your answer. From anecdotal evidence it would appear the staff are under contant productivity pressure. If I was under constant pressure like that I might have problems raising a smile too.:o

Speedy checkout workers are only a problem for the infuriating dawdlers who wait until everything has been scanned before they start to pack their bags.

I agree its really annoying, and also the people who put their items halfway down the conveyor belt and leave a big space, so you cant start unpacking your own until their's starts to go through, although I often ask them now to move them up, hoping it may make the penny drop!!

£170 worth at Aldi!!! That's about 4 trolley loads

Wait until Aldi really gets going in the UK!

One of the standard measures of whether a product has become widely accepted here is 'Can you get it at Aldi?'

Alcohol, Breadmakers, Bed linens, Computers, Coffee-makers (the 700 Euro kind ;)) Camping gear, DVD players, Electronic devices, Furniture, Golf Balls, Holidays ... right through the alphabet. (And they sell food, too.)

• 4 months later...

I think some people don't realise the reasons why aldi has this approach. its all about saving money and keepingthe costt of food down. for eg more people through the checkout more money for aldi keeps prices low for us..... they don't except credit cardsonly debit cards because those credit company's put a charge on every transaction, another way keeping costs down another they save money is a charge for carrier bags . these are but a few hidden charges that most super markets pass onto us through our shopping bill

As many have said, Aldi has always done the speedy checkout system, I really don't see the problem, it means shorter checkout queues. If you want to take your sweet time packing your bags and holding everyone up, go to Sainsbury or Waitrose, it seems to be more acceptable there.

Must say though, Aldi are no longer 'cheap' and a lot of the food is ropey IMO. Plus many of the Thurs/Sun specials are not really that special any more, mainly just 'okay' prices.

LIDL seems to be the best of the 'budget' supermarkets, the food selection seems better, plus nice fresh bread.

In Germany they are actually a lot more laid back with the scanning, and actually wait for you to pay before scanning through someone elses shop! back home as soon as you're last item has beeped there onto someone else haha.

The stuff also isn't as cheap, or interesting :( Aldi/netto/lidl in UK I think have a lot more competition in the UK, whereas here...it just is the standard supermarket and the more quality supermarkets are the ones that have to attract you.

The packing benches are also alot closer to the tills tho, with more space as it's done is all the supermarkets. Not so bad once you get used too it.

Archived