PLEASE HELP - Dyslexia

My son, who is 11 probably has dyslexia. I say probably as the school acknowledge that he does have a problem.

I have contacted various helplines and the local education authority for advice.

I have been told by the LEA that if I have him privatley assessed that they will not recognise this - and have said that everychild that is asessed comes back with a positive for dyslexia.

However the school will not push for an assesment as they say they are managing him in school.

His predicted sats show that he has moved up to 2grades since the age of 7 and that ahows that he is being managed. They have suggested he is given a 'reader' to help him with the forthcomming sats.

My worry is that he moving upto to secondary school this year and that he will be unable to cope, He gets very fustrated and upset when he cant do things. He is doing very well in maths but his reading, writing and understanding of anything written is awful.

Sorry if this post is all over the place but please can someone give me some advice as to what steps I should be taking.

You can only do what the local education system will accept.

I struggled all way through school with communication skills. it was only in later life that I was tested through Sheffield College and Job Centre Plus who confirmed that I was above average intellegence, but had deficiencies in communicative areas specific to dyslexia. Strange how I re-did my English GCSE in 2005 and was graded an 'A'.

The above only came about because my public sector employer at the time noticed, tried to accuse me of lying on the application form about having good communication skills, and tried putting me through gross miss conduct proceedings. I came back fighting, out performed all other members off staff at work, kept my job, and got my gcse to prove a point. Now I don't even rely on "reasonable adjustements" in the workplace to help me do my job, because I consider it unfare to fellow colleagues who then have to pick up the can for me. Instead, I do my own equal share with not many excuses. Occassionally I do get caught out with my problem, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Hi

visit this site

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/

and read everything! It helped me no end. You could even call them for advice on the phone.

Contact his secondary school and arrange for an appointment with the Special Needs Co-ordinator to discuss your concerns about his transition from primary to secondary and how they may be able to support. Some secondaries have been known to offer extra sessions to help individuals with specific difficulties. Ask them about the possibility of him being assessed for dyslexia by an educational psychologist.

As regards his reading, you could try an experiment at home. Give him passages of the same level of difficulty to read, but on different coloured backgrounds - try pastels, green, yellow, red, blue for a start and see if he seems to find reading against a particular colour easier.

I have found this book to be helpful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toe-Structured-Multi-sensory-Reading-Teachers/dp/0952256401

As regards his writing, is he left-handed too? If so, investigate left-handed pens and grips for pens and pencils. Encourage him to use the PC/Laptop as often as he is able, and the spell-checker, he may also find some fonts easier than others to work with. If he can learn how to touch type, this will be a Godsend to him later.

Good luck, please let us know how you go on.

Archived