Car crash right infront of me on M1

Around 4:50pm today doing school run from Spinkhill back to Rotherham, i was in the outer lane, A punto was in the middle lane overtaking 2 artic very slowly, the second lorry Foreign plate decide to overtake the first lorry, the punto was so slow in overtaking the lorry clip his back nearside corner and make the punto spin staight into the hard shoulder barrier, looking at my rear view mirror the punto was still in same shape and the lorry driver was pulling over.

The whole incident was like slow motion and i had time to think should i put my foot down and aviod the spinning car but i slow down a bit make sure the car was spinning away from me then i accelerate away, Hope the driver is ok and contact me if you need a witness as i was 2 car lenght behind you when the accident took place

Absolutely typical sideswipe accident. See http://truckview.net/ for more info.

Installation of these lenses dramatically reduces the chances of sideswipes by foreign (LHD) wagons. They're also good for preventing the death of cyclists by turning lorries.

A few fleet managers have wised up to this cheap device, and they've been given away to continental wagons arriving in the UK, but every lorry should have one.

Glad you're OK, hope the Punto driver escaped serious harm.

OP - I would contact the Police. Even if there is no damage the HGV driver can still be prosecuted for careless driving etc...

Also hard to tell if there was damage from looking in your rear view mirror doing 70 on the motorway.

you should contact the police - you didn't stop so you don't know the extent of the damage, even if there were no injuries there would be some damage to the punto and they will need to claim on the insurance of the foreign lorry driver, if the punto driver is not local they will not be on here and will not be able to find you as a witness.

i was hit by a foreign lorry - he decided to stop and reverse down a motorway slip road there must have been 30 witnesses, only one came forward, he gave me his mobile phone number, 6 months later the lorry driver denied reversing down the slip road or even hitting me and the number I had was no longer in use.... fortunately i was driving a hire van and had taken out the excess waiver so there was no financial impact to me, presumably the hire company's insurance had to take the hit? i did report the incident to the police they sent out a highways agency vehicle and their only concern was that i got the lorry drivers details and he was sent on his way. i'm pretty certain reversing down a slip road would be considered dangerous driving, however the police were not interested and no action was taken against the lorry driver, maybe if it had been an english driver things might be different but it seems to me that too many foreign lorry drivers are getting away with incidents in this country....

The punto was intact, with no major damage, Police doesnt get involve in rta if no one is hurt,

They do get involved if it's a motorway incident. You would not believe the costs involved for clearing up etc. How do you know no one was injured?

Yes you should contact the rozzers, you might be the only witness.

Only witness? it was 4:40ish in the afternoon on junt 30-31 doubt very much i was the only car there, also there was loads of car behind there is no way i can want to stop and walk that far on the hard shoulder and leave my daughter in the car alone

Archived