Swapping insurance details

Hi

I've got a question I hope someone can answer...

Someone drove too closely to my parked car a few weeks ago and smashed my wing mirror, knocking his off in the process. I was sat in the car having just picked up my son at the time and the bloke stopped, apologised and said he'd speak to work (his was a company car) about what to do.

He's now been in touch saying he wants my full details, address, insurance details, etc, and it's started alarm bells ringing.

I was assuming (naively?) they'd just ask me to get quotes for the repair and pay for the damage. I'm worried that in asking for my insurance details, they're going to try and push some of the blame onto me.

Does anyone know if this is standard practice or not?

If someone isn't injured there is no obligation to exchange insurance details. All that you have to supply is name and address. It's only if there is an injury to anyone that you have to exchange insurers as well. It's quite handy to stop spurious claims - if they don't have the insurers they realise that they will ahve to get to them via you and that's often enough to put them off.

Archived