We've just bought a butter dish .. and .. and .. Butter!

I always loved butter as a child - thing is we've been buying the margarine/spread/can't tell the difference/keep it refrigerated stuff for so long that I've forgotten (and indeed may never actually have known, because my Mother always kept butter refrigerated) that... it doesn't necessarily have to be refrigerated - it can be left out for days (not in direct sunlight obviously) and more often than not will be consumed before it goes off.

We bought a bread bin at the same time as we've been into the 'buy four loaves and freeze them' idea for as long as I can remember (and lets face it, it's not the same when left to defrost really....)

Do we tend to over refrigerate stuff these days just because we think we should?

I always loved butter as a child - thing is we've been buying the margarine/spread/can't tell the difference/keep it refrigerated stuff for so long that I've forgotten (and indeed may never actually have known, because my Mother always kept butter refrigerated) that... it doesn't necessarily have to be refrigerated - it can be left out for days (not in direct sunlight obviously) and more often than not will be consumed before it goes off.

We bought a bread bin at the same time as we've been into the 'buy four loaves and freeze them' idea for as long as I can remember (and lets face it, it's not the same when left to defrost really....)

Do we tend to over refrigerate stuff these days just because we think we should?

Yes, possibly!

i love butter but it's a bummer to spread. the so called spreadable butter is not much better when it's been in the fridge a while. as for marge, well it's just vile! the only good thing about marge is that she spreads easy.

It appears The Verve were wrong?

It appears The Verve were wrong?

Go on then, please elucidate (I'm not getting it) ...past me bedtime :D Although Mrs D does sometimes play a little of The Verve to annoy me :o

i love butter but it's a bummer to spread. the so called spreadable butter is not much better when it's been in the fridge a while. as for marge, well it's just vile! the only good thing about marge is that she spreads easy.

That's my point though - it doesn't have to be a bummer to spread - it doesn't need refrigerating :)

Archived