We've just bought a butter dish .. and .. and .. Butter!

I always loved butter as a child - thing is we've been buying the margarine/spread/can't tell the difference/keep it refrigerated stuff for so long that I've forgotten (and indeed may never actually have known, because my Mother always kept butter refrigerated) that... it doesn't necessarily have to be refrigerated - it can be left out for days (not in direct sunlight obviously) and more often than not will be consumed before it goes off.

We bought a bread bin at the same time as we've been into the 'buy four loaves and freeze them' idea for as long as I can remember (and lets face it, it's not the same when left to defrost really....)

Do we tend to over refrigerate stuff these days just because we think we should?

Draggle, you absolutely cannot beat best butter on a chunk of crusty, fresh bread.

MMMM heaven!!!

Like eggs, how many people keep them in the fridge? Then think about when you buy them in a shop, are they ever kept in a fridge in there?

They are not in the fridge in the shop because they sell so many of them. They will stay much fresher if you store them in the fridge. I always store eggs in the fridge, you can tell how fresh they are when you cook them and fresh eggs are so much better.

I keep opened butter in the cupboard.

oh no! :(

the whole point of butter is to keep it in the fridge so that when you have your hot toasted baked product, the butter can be sliced, put on top and left to melt with no spreading!

runny buttery goodness at the edges and the hot/cold combo of thick lightly salted butter in the middle! :love::love::love:

i hate sunflower margerine and the olive oil spreads just dont quite taste right, but as my love of butter is well documented at home and i can easily get through a pack in a day if left to my own devices, its buttermilk type spreads for me on an everyday basis :(

x

Like eggs, how many people keep them in the fridge? Then think about when you buy them in a shop, are they ever kept in a fridge in there?

There are reasons why eggs are not kept in the fridge in supermarkets. For example, the Commission Regulation (EC) No 589/2008 of 23 June 2008 laying down detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 1234/2007 as regards marketing standards for eggs has this to say:

(7) Cold eggs left out at room temperature may become covered in condensation, facilitating the growth of bacteria on the shell and probably their ingression into the egg. Therefore, eggs should be stored and transported preferably at a constant temperature, and should in general not be refrigerated before sale to the final consumer.

Furthermore research carried out in 1977 demonstrated that the best preservation method was to store them in the fridge, giving a life of upto 7 months. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx.

jb

Links stolen from discussion here: http://www.badscience.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22686

I always loved butter as a child - thing is we've been buying the margarine/spread/can't tell the difference/keep it refrigerated stuff for so long that I've forgotten (and indeed may never actually have known, because my Mother always kept butter refrigerated) that... it doesn't necessarily have to be refrigerated - it can be left out for days (not in direct sunlight obviously) and more often than not will be consumed before it goes off.

We bought a bread bin at the same time as we've been into the 'buy four loaves and freeze them' idea for as long as I can remember (and lets face it, it's not the same when left to defrost really....)

Do we tend to over refrigerate stuff these days just because we think we should?

Yes it's interesting, I keep everthing in the fridge, ketchup, mustard,sauce, mayo & butter of course, I've often wondered if it's nessesary to keep them cold.:huh:..eggs are kept cool along side of the milk in the Supermarkets, yes spreadable butter just doesen't taste the same, although I can't believe it's not butter tastes good.

Go on then, please elucidate (I'm not getting it) ...past me bedtime :D Although Mrs D does sometimes play a little of The Verve to annoy me :o)

I took it as meaning the reverse of The Verve's song '' The drugs don't work''. :)

I did the same recently, bought a really nice crystal butterdish from a carboot. I'm afraid I fell into the 'butter is bad for you" net. Why I ever should have cared is beyond me because I hardly use it anyway unless I treat myself to crumpets. Isn't marg one molecule away from plastic? Butter in a butterdish alone has me doing a nostalgia trip from when I was at grandma's.

Archived