We've just bought a butter dish .. and .. and .. Butter!

Butter in a butterdish alone has me doing a nostalgia trip from when I was at grandma's.

:hihi: me too...and the special butterknife she had for it too.

a functional stainless steel butter dish was the name of the game though at grandmas...not that it ever lasted very long when we visited. doorstop slices of wholemeal bread, toasted on an aga with proper butter....i defy anybody not to give in to its moreish delights! :love:

x

:hihi: me too...and the special butterknife she had for it too.

a functional stainless steel butter dish was the name of the game though at grandmas...not that it ever lasted very long when we visited. doorstop slices of wholemeal bread, toasted on an aga with proper butter....i defy anybody not to give in to its moreish delights! :love:

x

*sigh*... hot buttered toast or crumpets at grandmas... *drool* *sigh*

At our house it was always "Best butter". Half a pound of best butter I used to fetch from Gowers or could have been Meadow as I recall. Tub butter wasn't it? Now I only buy Lurpac Spreadable.

At our house it was always "Best butter". Half a pound of best butter I used to fetch from Gowers or could have been Meadow as I recall. Tub butter wasn't it? Now I only buy Lurpac Spreadable.

Me too Joan, but l have still got my mothers butter dish, it reminds me of her when l use it, but that is not often.

it was Adams Best Butter we had in our house, Joan.

It was wrapped in a yellow and white striped paper, with design with an oval cameo thingie of a cow on the wrapper.

it was my dad's favourite, and woe betide anyone who helped themselves to his best butter. His favourite was to have it slottened onto Soreen Malt Loaf ("Don't forget the Soreeeen, Doreeen!") something that I am very much partial to, also.

In our house, it was Stork or blue-band marge for us... :( (thank god my mother only used echo :gag: for baking with.)

I switched back to butter years ago. I don't put the butter dish in the fridge unless it's exceptionally hot. If I have to start a new lot from the fridge, I just pop it in the microwave on defrost for a short while - softens it just enough to spread.

YUK..........I can't stand butter. Am I the only one? My Mam used to use it to fry in and she also used it in the mashed spuds as well as on sarnies and toast etc. I couldn't stand the smell or the texture and as a result I don't use it at all.

I buy that flora stuff for the family but I have my sarnies on dry bread.

I use stork for baking with though and if I'm totally honest I buy a small tub of the very pale margarine (yellow just won't do) for spreading on COLD toast. If I have hot toast then it just has jam on it.

I couldn't bring myself to eat anything hot which is dripping in any sort of fat.

For butter lovers who have a problem re spreading - get yourself an insulated butter dish. Got a plastic one yonks back from Coles (but don't think they have it now), but Lakeland still do one. Expensive at about 16 quid but it comes with something like a 25 year guarantee and it's stainless steel, so you've got it for life.

On a broader point - yes we're advised to keep too much in the fridge. Even ketchup and pickles say 'refrigerate after opening'.....why, when most are chock full of vinegar, salt etc? Just what did our predecessors use to preserve things over time but smother them in these ingredients. I keep all such items in the cupboard and never have a problem.

As for sell by/use by etc - don't get me started! (But I have eaten a yoghurt that's WEEKS past its use by and it was fine.)

Archived