At what point does your hobby/job override your right to expression?

Following on from a story from The Independant I'd be curious to hear opinions on whether a hobby/job should ever limit your right to express yourself.

While I wouldn't expect folk representing an organisation to be spouting hatred, or demanding someone be killed (ok, with exception of spokesmen from organisations from KKK etc!) I do feel like they should be able express an opinion of their own.

The story linked to is about a cheerleader who had a disagreement with her school. She refused to cheer for a student on a sports team who had previously sexually assaulted her (charge of rape dropped but guilty in court of sexual assault) at a party.

The school expelled her from the cheerleading squad saying she was a mouthpiece of the school while performing as a cheerleader. Her family sued the school, the school won.

Seems more than a little hard on the girl that she should be forced to cheer for a guy who sexually assaulted her.

She wasn't forced to cheer for him, she was free to leave the squad.

Her right of expression is intact, if her hobby conflicts with her desire not to do something then it's up to her to resolve it.

I'm trying to think of another example using a physical sport, they all sound a bit ridiculous though, but if you suspend disbelief a little bit, how about someone who joins a judo club, but refuses to train with girls on the mat?

The question should really be why the school wanted any cheerleader to cheer for a student who's been convicted of sexual assault, should that person still be a student at the school?

Archived