Mobiles in petrol stations

There is no evidence that using mobiles in petrol stations is dangerous, the ban originated when first generation analouge mobiles were around, there was apparently IIRC a case (cases?) of the signal from a mobile affecting the readout on the pump causing the display to reset, how true this is i dont know

its a knee jerk reaction to an urban myth.

top gear did a good episode where they tried their best to ignite petrol fumes with a phone.

they failed.

Didn't they use something like a hundred phones inside a caravan soaked in a metric <REMOVED> of petrol being called simultaneously... and still failed to cause an explosion.

jb

Didn't they use something like a hundred phones inside a caravan soaked in a metric ****load of petrol being called simultaneously... and still failed to cause an explosion.

jb

it was on mythbusters as well, they had 100 mobile phones ranging from the 1st phones to ultra modern ones, they were unable to even get a spark after repeated tests, so yes, its an urban myth!!

It's almost impossible now, but as you say when the first generation phones came out they could set off fumes by a battery contact arcing. Also the transmit power was much higher than it was today and you could get arcing on the ends of the antenna if shorted to ground. (hence the reason on prohibiting CB and amateur transmitters from radiating as well)

Nowadays it's not a problem, but it's convenient to keep the legislation as it's not a good idea anyway to have people being unnecessarily distracted whilst dispensing fuel.

I find it more amazing that these days people can't fill up their car or get cash out for 2 seconds without answering their precious mobile phone.

I think I must be in a world of my own. Half the time I chuck mine in my bag and forget about it till I get home.

top gear did a good episode where they tried their best to ignite petrol fumes with a phone.

so did MythBusters

i believe it's static that is more likely to cause it, from your clothes, so the phone is neither here nor there, you could still die if you're wearing a polyester suit (some might argue you should)

Archived