Mobiles in petrol stations

I used to work in a petrol station and I was that good at my job that I have forgotten why the mobile phone thing is such a danger. It was something along the lines of causing some sort of radiation (or sommet to that effect) and basically the potential to burn off your ear when using a mobile on a forecourt, nowt to do with causing a spark and burning the place down! :)

It's to prevent fire's because supposedly your phone could spark and cause the place to blow up

I would assume, and the same for smoking, if you are inside the building, and more away from fumes, theres less chance of the sparks causing an explosion

She was already inside the building, they sent her outside with the phone.

Forget about phones, I can't believe that some people still SMOKE at petrol stations!

I was queuing to pay for petrol in Morrisons this morning when my mobile rang.When I answered it I was told I had to go on the forecourt to answer it.Anyone any idea why this is?:confused:

Hi, static sparks are possible from mobile phones. So if your filling up and on your mobile you could go bang! However it's a million to one. Sending you onto the forecourt seems a little daft. Did you mean off the forecourt?

I would assume, and the same for smoking, if you are inside the building, and more away from fumes, theres less chance of the sparks causing an explosion

You can't light petrol with a cigarette even if you draw on it to make it burn brighter. I know because I've tried.

I suppose that smoking is banned on forecourts because of the risk from matches and lighters that could ignite petrol vapour. Even so it's not uncommon to see people filling up at petrol stations in Italy whilst smoking.

Most petrol station fires are caused by someone with a car fire driving into the station in order to get off the road. I suppose the panic of flames in your engine bay causes some people to be really stupid!

She was already inside the building, they sent her outside with the phone.

Forget about phones, I can't believe that some people still SMOKE at petrol stations!

I know that, thats why I was baffled, shouldn't they be sending people INSIDE the building when they use the phone, not kicking them out?

Saw a couple a few months ago at a petrol station, hes filling up and using his phone, his partner is sitting in the passenger seat smoking away. I'm still alive :)

I always used to think that you weren't allowed to listen to the radio in a petrol station either... not sure where I got that from but I did anyway.

I often saw smokers in German petrol stations.

Hi, static sparks are possible from mobile phones. So if your filling up and on your mobile you could go bang! However it's a million to one. Sending you onto the forecourt seems a little daft. Did you mean off the forecourt?

No I was in the queue waiting to pay.Thought it was strange.

Archived