Mobiles in petrol stations

This nonsence started in the early 80's when CB radios were all the rage.It was thought by some that the waves given off by the cb'scould affect the pump readings.

This was at a time when digital display pumps were quite new on the scene and the myth followed on with mobile phones later in the 80's.

The same goes for the bans in hospitals there is no evidence that any mobile phone will affect equipment nor cause fires but like ghosts some just love to believe.

It's to prevent fire's because supposedly your phone could spark and cause the place to blow up

this is nonsense for a few glaring reasons, but i had also heard there was no evidence of a mobile phone causing explosions of any sort in any petrol station ever.

Me and the other half were at our local Sainsbury's petrol station standing well away from the pumps in a parking area and had to phone for the AA as our car had broken down just as we pulled into the petrol station (a faulty battery) and as soon as I lifted the phone to my ear a "jobs worth" came running over saying you can't use that here! He made me use the landline phone in the shop to phone them.

I thought it was well OTT.

• 1 year later...

My partner was on the phone in my van today and over the speaker at the petrol station I was told that she had to end the call. What a load of crap I had already filled up and was on my way to pay when he informed me to end the call. Bloody jobs worths.:rant:

Me and the other half were at our local Sainsbury's petrol station standing well away from the pumps in a parking area and had to phone for the AA as our car had broken down just as we pulled into the petrol station (a faulty battery) and as soon as I lifted the phone to my ear a "jobs worth" came running over saying you can't use that here! He made me use the landline phone in the shop to phone them.

I thought it was well OTT.

Yep, put up a sign and there will always be people who will follow it without question.

Its because some people answer their phones quietly, quickly and discretely, while others shout out their business to everyone, using a load of F words, while at the same time trying to do business with the till operator and trying to punch in their pin. The till person doe not know which of these you are likely to be so asked you to go outside

Good on that till attendant, the call can wait till you get into the confines of your car. Neither they or the other people in the queue want to have another's conversation in their ears.

Its because some people answer their phones quietly, quickly and discretely, while others shout out their business to everyone, using a load of F words, while at the same time trying to do business with the till operator and trying to punch in their pin. The till person doe not know which of these you are likely to be so asked you to go outside

Good on that till attendant, the call can wait till you get into the confines of your car. Neither they or the other people in the queue want to have another's conversation in their ears.

My Partner was already in a conversation on her phone in the van away from the pump and cashier.

Archived