Mobiles in petrol stations

I've not been told to get off my phone or put it down when I've used it, I wouldn't listen if they did say anything.

What are they going to do, throw you out before you pay for the tank of fuel?

It's just bored people finding something to do, some decide to enforce every petty rule they can.

The fear is supposedly based around if you drop the phone and the battery sparks. But its probably a minuscule chance in a million of it actually happening.

Thats correct. It's unlikely but there is a chance that it could happen. And if it did happen, it would be nasty!!

I work in a petrol station and we are always having to ask people not to use their mobile phones. Yes, we know it's unlikely to do any damage but if the fire officer turns up and sees anyone on the forecourt using their mobile, it's us that gets into trouble for it!

Also, when we have customers in the shop using their phone and trying to pay for their fuel, it distracts them. They give us the wrong pump number and end up paying for the wrong fuel, they put their payment card in to early, enter wrong pin numbers. Basically, they just don't concentrate on what they're actually doing and they completely ignore anything we are asking or telling them. Plus, i personally think its rude to be talking on a mobile phone when you are being served at the counter.

With regard to the OP, i think you may have heard the cashier wrong. They probably asked you NOT to use your mobile phone on the forecourt. If they told you to go outside to answer it, they need to re-do their training!!

It is a myth, anyway there are much bigger sparks that occur across relay contacts in your cars electrical system than your phone could ever produce.

The myth was busted on the popular program "myth busters" apart from explosions they also suspected interference with the fuel delivery display system also busted.

Thats correct. It's unlikely but there is a chance that it could happen. And if it did happen, it would be nasty!!

I work in a petrol station and we are always having to ask people not to use their mobile phones. Yes, we know it's unlikely to do any damage but if the fire officer turns up and sees anyone on the forecourt using their mobile, it's us that gets into trouble for it!

Also, when we have customers in the shop using their phone and trying to pay for their fuel, it distracts them. They give us the wrong pump number and end up paying for the wrong fuel, they put their payment card in to early, enter wrong pin numbers. Basically, they just don't concentrate on what they're actually doing and they completely ignore anything we are asking or telling them. Plus, i personally think its rude to be talking on a mobile phone when you are being served at the counter.

With regard to the OP, i think you may have heard the cashier wrong. They probably asked you NOT to use your mobile phone on the forecourt. If they told you to go outside to answer it, they need to re-do their training!!

Good post - that should settle that!!

Apart from the first sentence. :)

There is no chance whatsoever that dropping a mobile, making a call, or frying sausages over a camp fire in the vicinity of a petrol pump will ignite fuel vapours in the open air is like believing that homoeopathy will cure cancer after you've had it explained why it won't.

(Ah, hang on, some daft people believe in that too)

I think car drivers should turn off mobiles till they have finished with the car, as for van and lorry drivers who need to hear certain call or text signals due to the nature of their job should be allowed but the responsibility lays with them and if caught abusing, well then stand to the usual penalties.

Archived