Which IKEA is closest to S10?

There would've been an IKEA in Sheffield, if Sheffield City Council hadn't objected to it! :Z

IKEA shelves plan for Sheffield store:

Furnishing giant IKEA will not set up shop in Sheffield and has withdrawn plans for a £30 million development near the Parkway. The Swedish company says it has given up the idea after too much opposition to its out-of-town location. The news will disappoint IKEA shoppers who travel to Bradford or Nottingham. It was three years ago when IKEA first unveiled plans to set up store on the site of a former YEB depot off the Parkway, with the promise of 500 jobs. It prompted objections from city centre retailers and Sheffield One, the city centre regeneration agency, which argued that an out-of-town business like IKEA would damage trading in Sheffield city centre. David Curtis, the council's head of development, said: "We had a number of major concerns with the application."

Indeed it was 2004 - just making the point that Sheffield probably missed out, once & for all, on having an Ikea store, due to the actions of a few SCC numpties.

Ikea seemed to overestimate the demand for a Sheffield store if this story is anything to go by.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/new-ikea-stores-to-bring-1450-jobs-683634.html

"The company said the new stores would cut down on queues and traffic congestion that plague the vicinities of its existing outlets. It said that last year 5 million customers travelled to stores in Leeds and Nottingham from Sheffield to shop at Ikea."

That would mean every man, woman and child in Sheffield visited IKEA ten times a year :hihi:

sorry I've not read the whole thread, but if you're going for something specific, check stock online first

the storage boxes we wanted weren't available in Nottingham or Leeds, but were in Warrington

Ikea seemed to overestimate the demand for a Sheffield store if this story is anything to go by.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/new-ikea-stores-to-bring-1450-jobs-683634.html

"The company said the new stores would cut down on queues and traffic congestion that plague the vicinities of its existing outlets. It said that last year 5 million customers travelled to stores in Leeds and Nottingham from Sheffield to shop at Ikea."

That would mean every man, woman and child in Sheffield visited IKEA ten times a year :hihi:

I presume that they were not so parochial to conside just Sheffield - at a finger in the air guess the Sheffiled/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley etc area must have 1.5m people or more in it.

As for visits - I know some people who do go there astoundingly regularly - like every other weekend. Not big purchases but if you are being somewhat careful and buying a cabinet here and a couple of chairs there you could do end up making a fair number of visits over a year I suppose.

However, the 5 million visits does seem exceedingly high. Spread out over a year, that would be 2.5 million extra a store, so that would be 7000 a day in each store every day on top of the regular customers and that just doesnt seem to fit with what I see.

I presume that they were not so parochial to conside just Sheffield - at a finger in the air guess the Sheffiled/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley etc area must have 1.5m people or more in it.

Yep, I think you're right - a major international company like Ikea, wouldn't have considered the former industrial site by the Parkway if they didn't think it would do very well (even if perhaps the figures are over-estimated). The other issue is that, an Ikea store would've acted like a catalyst bringing people into the area & perhaps other businesses doing well out of it, as has happened around the Leeds store. A lack of vision & forward thinking from SCC, as we have come to expect ...

Archived