Which IKEA is closest to S10?

Ikea seemed to overestimate the demand for a Sheffield store if this story is anything to go by.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/new-ikea-stores-to-bring-1450-jobs-683634.html

"The company said the new stores would cut down on queues and traffic congestion that plague the vicinities of its existing outlets. It said that last year 5 million customers travelled to stores in Leeds and Nottingham from Sheffield to shop at Ikea."

That would mean every man, woman and child in Sheffield visited IKEA ten times a year :hihi:

That would mean 5million people with a Sheffield postcode. I visit Ikea ten times a year easily, don't live in Sheffield but my Ikea Family Card does have an S postcode on it.

I presume that they were not so parochial to conside just Sheffield - at a finger in the air guess the Sheffiled/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley etc area must have 1.5m people or more in it.

Yep, I think you're right - a major international company like Ikea, wouldn't have considered the former industrial site by the Parkway if they didn't think it would very well (even if perhaps the figures are over-estimated). The other issue is that, an Ikea store would've acted like a catalyst bringing people into the area & perhaps other businesses doing well out of it, as has happened around the Leeds store. A lack of vision & forward thinking from SCC, as we have come to expect ...

Coventry has a very nice successful city centre store...

Where could you put one in Sheffield? Perhaps not the city centre but I recall a lot of waste ground near Heeley or have they built on all that now? Would be a good boost for the area I'm sure.

That would mean 5million people with a Sheffield postcode. I visit Ikea ten times a year easily, don't live in Sheffield but my Ikea Family Card does have an S postcode on it.

5 million people with a Sheffield postcode? The combined population of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Worksop, Chesterfield and the Hope Valley (S postcodes) must be nearer 1.5 million than 5 million.

there isn't very much in the distances at all. personally i found the leeds one a bigger and better store.

I know of somebody who went shopping to L***s and actually came back as a SHEEP!:o - so people obviously need to be careful.

• 2 months later...

Archived