Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

I was looking at buying a few years ago, found a lovely house for 78k, mortgage was originally given as 100%, then they dropped it to 90%, and eventually to 80%, so I needed a large deposit by the time I'd found the house. Vendor offered to pay 5%, but I just couldn't get the other 15% together in time.

More or less the same happened to us, got a 100% mortgage agreed in principal, then the market started to crash we ended up at 95%, it was just before everyone stopped lending.

What people are complaining about is families such as those mentioned in this article. Six children of her own and nieces making nine in the house altogether. At some point the woman involved must have thought "It's going to be a bit of a squeeze if any more people move in". Most people would have taken this as a point in time to stop endlessly spitting out children. This woman has decided she should get a larger house for this achievement.

Tell the 21yo to get their own place for a start.

Absolutely.

Whilst I agree that the situation with social housing is appalling, I can't muster up much sympathy for people who keep on having children, despite living in already over-crowded accommodation.

Neither do I feel sorry for an unemployed couple, who are in debt, yet still go ahead and have a baby! From what I could make out, the pregnancy didn't appear to be planned - but there's no excuse in this day and age to get pregnant unless you want to. And I noticed that she was shopping for a nice, new pushchair and the baby clothes she was faffing about with, no doubt to gain the viewers' sympathy, were obviously new, because they still had the labels on them.

If you're unemployed and in debt, how can you can afford all these things?

And, before anybody jumps on me, I'd like to point out that I dressed in second-hand/home-made clothes for many years, because new clothes (or furniture for that matter) were something I couldn't afford, despite working, because my partner and I were buying our own house.

I watched that bit but had to switch it off because it was winding me up!

The young blond girl seemed to sum up the attitude that so many chavs in Sheffield have these days, that it’s the government and council’s job to fund their lifestyle.

Why hadn’t she or her waste-of-space boyfriend bothered to get a job? Why had she got herself pregnant – to get herself a bigger council house maybe?

She clearly knew how to play up to the cameras – bursting into tears right on cue and playing the “I suffer from depression” card that so many lazy people use as an excuse to not work.

What really got on my nerves though was that the interviewer didn’t challenge her about maybe looking for a job or saving for a mortgage like people in the real world do. Instead the focus of the programme seemed to be to blame the council for not giving free council houses for anyone too lazy to work and who’d rather churn out worthless kids for the rest of us to pay for!

Once again Sheffield is portrayed in the national media as a dump full of lazy chavs who blame everyone but themselves for their problems. No wonder our city has got such a poor image!

I watched that bit but had to switch it off because it was winding me up!

The young blond girl seemed to sum up the attitude that so many chavs in Sheffield have these days, that it’s the government and council’s job to fund their lifestyle.

Why hadn’t she or her waste-of-space boyfriend bothered to get a job? Why had she got herself pregnant – to get herself a bigger council house maybe?

She clearly knew how to play up to the cameras – bursting into tears right on cue and playing the “I suffer from depression” card that so many lazy people use as an excuse to not work.

What really got on my nerves though was that the interviewer didn’t challenge her about maybe looking for a job or saving for a mortgage like people in the real world do. Instead the focus of the programme seemed to be to blame the council for not giving free council houses for anyone too lazy to work and who’d rather churn out worthless kids for the rest of us to pay for!

Once again Sheffield is portrayed in the national media as a dump full of lazy chavs who blame everyone but themselves for their problems. No wonder our city has got such a poor image!

I didn't get that bit, was she not in a rather nice flat? The rent didn't get paid in full because wasn't it bigger than their benefit entitlement? She kept crying about it being 'unsuitable for a baby'.... I thought it was a nice looking flat tbh.

I was irritated by the bloke moaning about an inch of water in the cellar of his council house, and a bit of mould on his wall.

This is Sheffield FFS, where half the houses with cellars have got water in them. Don't keep all your stuff down there, and then it won't get wet. Oh, and that bit of mould, get a cloth and wipe it off!

:roll:

I was irritated by the bloke moaning about an inch of water in the cellar of his council house, and the bit of mould on his wall.

This is Sheffield FFS, where half the houses with cellars have got water in them. Don't keep all your stuff down there, and then it won't get wet. Oh, and that bit of mould, get a cloth and wipe it off!

:roll:

His landlord being irresponsible did make me laugh, it kind of reminded me of my old one. The hallway got a leak in the roof, it had 3 holes. He told me to get a bucket. I said it was 3 holes - He told me to get 3 buckets :hihi:

Neighbour told me he had been up on the roof just before I moved in, and poured asphalt down it, to block up the leaks. He was obviously unhappy that this superb plan had failed :hihi:

I did feel sorry for the people with housing difficulties in this programme, mainly because they all seemed so helpless. Why did those lads on sofa's not look for a privately rented flat to ease the overcrowding? Do young people in Sheffield have a sense of entitlement to council housing that stops them trying to work and buy a house? When I was young and things were difficult at home I worked my way round Europe, often sleeping out - I bet I had a more interesting time than if I had kipped every night on my mum's old sofa.

i have been awared priority due to over crowding as i have 3 small children in a 2 bed house we do hot have benifits and ive been ofered a 3 bed house witch took me 3 weeks i am still waiting for the keys to view it though.

its about time that having a council house for life is changed, i no of loads of people who initially needed a 3/4 bed house when there kids were at home but now they have a left are left with 2/3 spare rooms, surely it would make sense to re-house these people into a property fit for there needs,

i also think that once your earning a certain amount and could really cope without social housing then you should move on and either buy or private rent to free up housing that is needed.

its about time that having a council house for life is changed, i no of loads of people who initially needed a 3/4 bed house when there kids were at home but now they have a left are left with 2/3 spare rooms, surely it would make sense to re-house these people into a property fit for there needs,

i also think that once your earning a certain amount and could really cope without social housing then you should move on and either buy or private rent to free up housing that is needed.

My mum for example, now in a 3 bed house all by herself, and my grandad until he died, had a 3 bedroom maisonette.

Archived