Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

the council can still house people who work- I am one of them and earn a decent wage, but simply cannot afford to buy

I think what Truman meant is that unless they are both unemployed, then they have absolutely no reason to be sitting around on mum's sofa and waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the council to give them a flat.

I think what Truman meant is that unless they are both unemployed, then they have absolutely no reason to be sitting around on mum's sofa and waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the council to give them a flat.

Oh right, sorry- my fault as I read it too quick and then replied straight away- oops :)

I agree- why do they not rent a private 2 bed flat if they are working? I reckon for £500 PCM they could do this.

Oh right, sorry- my fault as I read it too quick and then replies straight away- oops :)

I agree- why do they not rent a private 2 bed flat if they are working? I reckon for £500 PCM they could do this.

And even if they are not working, I'm sure they could find something, even a house share, that would accept their DSS, no idea why they blame the council for this overcrowding situation x

No, the tenant can choose to move into any private rented house that will take them, and move as and when they wish, as long as the rent is within the benefit limits.

Think he was maybe on the programme to make the strange point : "People are living in dumps like this, because they can't get a council house"

Yes you're right, it is a sort of strange point. There are plenty of nice places available privately for £500pm.

I don't remember saying everyone.

Many people can afford a house not simply based on the lucky situations you outline but because they work hard for it.

I just think it's a bit rude to assume that nearly everyone who owns a house is in some way privileged.

She did actually say "unless you have savings in" in the post" I don't think the poster was insinuating that you just have to be lucky. As the poster pointed out, not everyone can afford to save up while paying bills

The majority of the people on the show did not work and did not appear to be bothered about the fact.

There is always some job that can be done and yes sometimes you have to swallow your pride in life and do jobs others wont do but as long as it pays.

The moral to this is "Never rely on anyone but yourself"

Days of council house hand outs was over a long time ago.

Very good point!

Another thing that winds me up! People who pick and choose jobs!

Although I was good at English at school, I was never an "academic", so I chose not to go to Uni and get myself into debt- much to my mothers consternation. Instead I worked in dead end jobs, ending up at Burger King and working my way up through management. I then applied to another company and 2 years later was promoted. A couple of pay rises later and I earn over 25k a year, am field based so I work from home 1-2 days per week, get a company car and other benefits.

I could probably walk into just about any store/ restaurant manager job should I ever need to, or even area manager or retail operations

When people say to me they won't apply to fast food as it's embarrassing and then say I am lucky to have the job I have, I remind them that it isn't luck, simply swallowing my pride and working hard to get where you want to be.

Very good point!

Another thing that winds me up! People who pick and choose jobs!

Although I was good at English at school, I was never an "academic", so I chose not to go to Uni and get myself into debt- much to my mothers consternation. Instead I worked in dead end jobs, ending up at Burger King and working my way up through management.

When people say to me they won't apply to fast food as it's embarrassing and then say I am lucky to have the job I have, I remind them that it isn't luck, simply swallowing my pride and working hard to get where you want to be.

I agree with this.

Apparently McDonalds management training program is one of the best in the world - if you complete from start to finish. Theres mentoring and everything. In the States theyll even pay for university tuition if you take business management courses or continue on into a MBA after receiving your bachelors.

A job is what a person makes of it. Theres no shame in cleaning toilets or serving chips as long as an honest wage is earned. One of my first jobs was working in a Burger King. Yeah I smelled of chip grease, but I learned a lot of skills in dealing with people or awkward situations that I still use today.

We should pay people not to have children, instead of paying people to breed. This country is turning to **** because the wrong people are popping out kids left right and centre while decent people are afraid to have children because of the way things are.

This is something my boss was talking about. She told me not to worry about anything else and as soon as we were ready to have kids! I am 30 and do not have any, yet there are people I went to school with who have kids turning 13 etc. I can't get my head round it. I must admit, the ones who had kids young now seem to be working and are not claiming every benefit going any more.. but still.

It hard working people who ought to be having kids, not the ones who just have them and claim benefits and get given bigger housesm and then use the excuse that they are better off at home with their kids than working. Rubbish.. never did me and my siblings nay harm.. and all 3 of us work bloody hard!!

I still can't quite work out why this country pays people to have kids. I mean when I get pregnant, work won't give me an extra £2k or whatever pay rise just cos I decided I fancied having a child.

If you are earning less than the limit ( i think it was near to 50k per year), then you will be eligible for child tax credits. So yes. You could get more money when you have a baby :)

Archived