Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

I blame Thatcher!

To all you saying that the Gurnhill's are on benefits, don't put anything into the sytem, living on handouts and expect something for nothing, where did you get this information? Nowhere in the program did it say that they weren't working and paying full rent. They may just be good honest working folk who have outgrown their house!

It's Sheffield Homes who are at fault not the people in the program. Fact is, when I hit 18 I got a council flat on Norfolk Park within less than a week. Today's youth of Sheffield should be able to do the same. That's what social housing is for. Affordable housing for everyone!!

I just think that something needs to be done. I see houses and flats boarded up all the time. Why aren't these put back into circulation? The bidding sytem is a complete pile of carp. I think it's time they went back to the good old waiting list system. My friend has been actively bidding for 2 years, every week without fail and not once has she been successful.

I have been on the housing list for about 10 years, I put myself on it when I bought my house. I haven't needed to use it yet but should interest rates rise there is a very real possibility that I will lose my house. I'm thinking back to when interest rates were around 15%. This means I will have to apply for social housing. Now I believe that because I have lived in Sheffield all my life and done everything that a proper Sheffielder should that I should be a priority. Unfortunately this isn't going to be the case. Now I have other factors on my side so i'm hoping that if worst does come to the worst i'll be ok. But I hate the thought that me and my family will have to live in a flea bitten, dirty B&B whilst Sheffield Homes get their fingers out!

I blame Thatcher!

To all you saying that the Gurnhill's are on benefits, don't put anything into the sytem, living on handouts and expect something for nothing, where did you get this information? Nowhere in the program did it say that they weren't working and paying full rent. They may just be good honest working folk who have outgrown their house!It's Sheffield Homes who are at fault not the people in the program. Fact is, when I hit 18 I got a council flat on Norfolk Park within less than a week. Today's youth of Sheffield should be able to do the same. That's what social housing is for. Affordable housing for everyone!!

I just think that something needs to be done. I see houses and flats boarded up all the time. Why aren't these put back into circulation? The bidding sytem is a complete pile of carp. I think it's time they went back to the good old waiting list system. My friend has been actively bidding for 2 years, every week without fail and not once has she been successful.

I have been on the housing list for about 10 years, I put myself on it when I bought my house. I haven't needed to use it yet but should interest rates rise there is a very real possibility that I will lose my house. I'm thinking back to when interest rates were around 15%. This means I will have to apply for social housing. Now I believe that because I have lived in Sheffield all my life and done everything that a proper Sheffielder should that I should be a priority. Unfortunately this isn't going to be the case. Now I have other factors on my side so i'm hoping that if worst does come to the worst i'll be ok. But I hate the thought that me and my family will have to live in a flea bitten, dirty B&B whilst Sheffield Homes get their fingers out!

Sometimes, you just know...

Sheffield Council has a Lettings policy, that has to be adhered to by Sheffield Homes. Its here: http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/FindANewHome.aspx

It states that authorised managers may make discretionary decisions. They can award special priority - for example if a family are fleeing domestic violence, or their home has burnt down. In the main, properties are let to the bidders who either fit the priority category (examples are homeless; demolition;overcrowded.) or who have the longest waiting time.

If I felt strongly that too many 'management decisions' were being made in an area, I'd contact the management, or my local councillors and ask them why it is happening.

Its usually worth finding out why things happen rather than suggest the rules are being broken. I've worked for social housing organisations in the past, and know just how tightly the rules are applied. The programme suggested that housing was at fault, yet at the end they stated that neither of the main complainants had kept their information up to date!

Having said that, my wife recently spoke to someone from Sheffield Homes, regarding some questions we had, so that we had a better idea of how the system works and therefore not having unreasonable expectations.

My wife mentioned the amount of priority given out. The person looked at the situation and said that something along the lines of 3/4 max should go to priority and that there seems to be an error, as more have been given and even thanked her for bringing this to her attention.

I blame Thatcher!

It was indeed Thatcher who ordered the selling off of council houses, and insisted that the monies raised could not be used for the building of new council houses, in an attempt to rid the country of council housing, and in doing so (whether she realised this at the time, I can't say) helped swell the numbers of the strange phenomenon - the 'lower class Tory'.

However, subsequent Labour governments have not reversed this legislation, so we can't entirely lay ALL the blame with Thatcher, can we?

There used to be a one off payment/investment when your child was born as well. I think it was a £500....

Yes, unless you had multiple births, then they had to share it! Obviously, the government thought twins and triplets weren't worthy of the same start! I'm not sure if this still applies.

Fact is this

The family consist of 9 people + perhaps a few pets.

The home has not enough bedrooms

So the family need a house with more bedrooms, ie, a bigger home

So the council should get there god dam fingers out and put these people in a bigger home.

Why do the council not buy up some of the houses up at Whirlow, these have 5 plus bedrooms and so would be ideal for bigger familys.

Buy up the houses at Whirlow, Lodge Moor and Sandygate and the problem is solved

Fact is this

So the council should get there god dam fingers out and put these people in a bigger home.

Why do the council not buy up some of the houses up at Whirlow, these have 5 plus bedrooms and so would be ideal for bigger familys.

Buy up the houses at Whirlow, Lodge Moor and Sandygate and the problem is solved

Actually, I would like to hazard a guess that the average bedroom count of properties is higher in Burngreave than the areas you mention, seeing as they are old, grand properties, that once belonged to the founders of the steel industry.

Fact is this

how are the coouncil going to afford that:loopy:

i feel she has made herself intentionally overcrowded

Nowhere in the program did it say that they weren't working and paying full rent. They may just be good honest working folk who have outgrown their house!

Like I said before not once did they say the 2 boys had to get up for work after kipping on the settees,this says to me they don't work,what about her fella,whats his story,where does he live?

Archived