Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

Why is it that people expect to be given a house where they want, and when they want it? I can understand that the disabled, elderly and sick need to be taken care of, but everyone else is in charge of their own destiny. If you want a house, dont get pregnant or fake homelessness....get a job, save up, and buy or rent one. The benifits system in this country is an absolute joke. "i cant work coz im sick, but i can still father six kids, even though i cant support them"......what a f..king joke. Im ashamed to be a tax payer funding this waltzer of scroungers and "im entitled to it" brigade.

I don't think anyone is saying they want to be given a house. The rest of your post is irrelevant in this thread.

The bidding system is actually much more transparent than the old 'waiting list'. http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/FindANewHome.aspx

I don't understand why people think it isn't. Because priority takes 3 out of 4 properties, and because the bidding system/choice based lettings was introduced just as the demand for council housing was on the increase, people have the idea its not fair. Its as fair as a needs based system can be.

Some excellent information in your informative posts. if only everyone on here could be so constructive instead of posting replies like "these scroungers should all be killed. then hanged."

But I think the issue is about the lack of transparency of decision-making in practice. People just don't understand how the allocation system works. For instance, most people's instinct is that the more you bid, the more likely you are to get an offer of a property. you're not.

The bidding system is actually much more transparent than the old 'waiting list'. http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/FindANewHome.aspx

I don't understand why people think it isn't. Because priority takes 3 out of 4 properties, and because the bidding system/choice based lettings was introduced just as the demand for council housing was on the increase, people have the idea its not fair. Its as fair as a needs based system can be.

My point about priority is that sometimes things do go wrong, not that the entire system is flawed.

Another example would be my brother's partner. She moved into a one bedfroom flat with one child under 1. Decided after a couple of months it was too far away from her relatives and ended up in a 3 bedroomed house. Within days she was put on priority again to move to a smaller house.

Or perhaps the house next door to us, no-one lives there, they only come for about 30 mins a month to collect their mail. Someone could make use of this property as they quite obviously have another place somewhere else.

The standpoint of the Vatican is to proscribe any birth control except the rhythm method (and its derivative, the natural birth control method) What the adherents to the faith do in their own homes with regard to birth control and how they practise it, is their own business.

I bet that took a long time to look up!

haha well you're probably right. While this forum is hardly massive in the grand scheme of things, it's true that it's a small world. Especially when the information is so explicitly specific like this thread.

Yes do know them & no the programme wasn't accurate, but some people will happily tell a pack of lies to get on tv.

• 3 weeks later...
My point about priority is that sometimes things do go wrong, not that the entire system is flawed.

Another example would be my brother's partner. She moved into a one bedfroom flat with one child under 1. Decided after a couple of months it was too far away from her relatives and ended up in a 3 bedroomed house. Within days she was put on priority again to move to a smaller house.

Or perhaps the house next door to us, no-one lives there, they only come for about 30 mins a month to collect their mail. Someone could make use of this property as they quite obviously have another place somewhere else.

With regard to the last paragraph, have you or any of the neighbours informed the landlord that the property is mainly unoccupied? You are quite right that someone could make use of it, but unless the landlord knows what is happening they won't take any action.

IMO social housing should work like this:

Temporary accomodation untill you get on your feet to get your own place(limits of 6mths-1/2yrs)

If you have a house too big for your need you get placed in a smaller one anywhere(not politley asked)

If you are wanting a social house you get offered one, if you dont take it(area, size etc) tough, you lose your option to social housing.

I'm pretty sure this would make alot of people think about private renting/buying instead.

When exactly did 'council housing' suddenly have it's status changed to 'social housing' with the associated stigma? Is it a result of (understandable) sour grapes?

No sour grapes to me, I own my own home and have never needed social housing, but I do believe it has its place and that place is to provide people temporary accomodation, this should be handed out to the needy and not the picky and choosy .

Archived