Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

Or make anyone over 18 get a job and pay full rent. Then see if they want the bigger house.

This as well, but if theyre in school (which after seeing the program doesnt seem to be the case) would make it hard to do so - especially if theyre taking care of young ones in the day & studying.

If theyre not in school and able bodied, they should be working - at least part time - and enough to at least have partial assistance to pay the rent so theyre not living at home still.

So what if they end up in a council house too? Kinda counter productive, don't you think?

I, personally, wouldnt mind as if they were relocated to the same area it be more than likely to be council than privately rented.

Not everything is black and white - especially with those on benefits - and we shouldnt be so quick to judge and assume about people and their lifestyles.

Before attacking the people in the show for being on benefits, remember this...

Many of the youth in Sheffield work, over 60% of them (unemployment being 20%+, students, disabled etc.).

They generally work for minimum wage. And cannot afford to cover the rent which is propped up, and kept artificially high, by housing benefit.

The state of housing in this country and especially the city of Sheffield is atrocious.

Some of those in need of state housing are being placed in the private sector in sub-standard housing. Some of those in need of state housing, are being denied any housing whatsoever. A few who need it, get it. Managers decision, family working in housing, wink wink, you know.

Things have to change, and the sooner the better. We need to build housing, housing fit for humans. And that housing should be affordable.

There are a very many people in Sheffield about to join the housing queue, you might call them 'owner occupiers with hefty mortgages', or maybe even 'lambs to the slaughter'.

Interest rates will have to rise, otherwise inflation will rage and push people over the edge, and not just the indebted.

A consequence of this will be cheaper housing, but the underlying lack of housing for the poorest in society will still be there.

If your not a youth, maybe you have children of your own?

What is their housing situation?

What are their prospects?

SHEFFIELD HOMELESS

I thought the programme was to discusses the issue of people sub-letting social housing properties (thats council and housing association properties for those that don't know) and not the lady who has too many family members living in her home?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9474000/9474045.stm

Without overcrowding, sub letting properties to those in need would be very hard indeed.

In Sheffield, we have overcrowding, subletting, homelessness and the largest waiting list in the country, over the past 10 years our council demolished properties by the 1000 and gave them away with multi million pound sterling subsidies.

That copper in London made £350 a week defrauding his fellow men. In Sheffield we have people making £100 a week doing the same, renting to people earning a wage of only £200 a week. These people should be hung/shot.

Why? Because scamming <removed> are renting houses whilst owning houses and making ££££ off the rent they receive for letting these out, people are selling houses they own and taking council houses, people are coming into the country/city from different places with immigration or moving with work or whatever, people are buying council houses they have lived in and there doesn't seem to be much replacement of all of these , 99% of the houses advertised are 'priority applicants only' and in this day and age, unless you receive money from inheritance, a win, are from a well off family or have savings there is pretty much no chance of ownign your own house so many rely on council housing and unless you breed and qualify for bigger places or come into the country or city in need of priority housing, you are just left to wait for years on end while all the properties get taken by the above people mentioned or bought up and not replaced!

What about people who work hard for many years, saving their own money? It isn't rocket science, but many people fail to do this.

I've not had any help from anyone, and neither have my friends who all own their own houses. Its time to stop moaning and do something about it.

Not everyone who works hard can rent, pay bills and save £10k+ for a house though, can they? Maybe if you live at home or have such a high paying job that you can rent and save but in lots of cases, unlikely.

We don't have high paying jobs but can afford to rent and save. It'll probably take a few years but it is doable and I know people who have managed it (without inheritance or help from parents) it just takes years.

Admittedly it's a bit of a kick up the ar$e when people get it all handed to them but would you really want to be bring kids up in that environment?

Whilst I agree that the situation with social housing is appalling, I can't muster up much sympathy for people who keep on having children, despite living in already over-crowded accommodation.

Neither do I feel sorry for an unemployed couple, who are in debt, yet still go ahead and have a baby! From what I could make out, the pregnancy didn't appear to be planned - but there's no excuse in this day and age to get pregnant unless you want to. And I noticed that she was shopping for a nice, new pushchair and the baby clothes she was faffing about with, no doubt to gain the viewers' sympathy, were obviously new, because they still had the labels on them.

If you're unemployed and in debt, how can you can afford all these things?

And, before anybody jumps on me, I'd like to point out that I dressed in second-hand/home-made clothes for many years, because new clothes (or furniture for that matter) were something I couldn't afford, despite working, because my partner and I were buying our own house.

What about people who work hard for many years, saving their own money? It isn't rocket science, but many people fail to do this.

I've not had any help from anyone, and neither have my friends who all own their own houses. Its time to stop moaning and do something about it.

The situation now is a very unfair and distorted system.

Interest rates very low.

Amount of housing not enough to meet demand (restrictive planning laws and pathfinder demolition, not to mention RTB and privatization of entire estates).

Wage inflation vs house price inflation.

Inflation of food and fuel due to global demand.

Housing is unaffordable. Prices will be forced to fall. But there will still be a need to build social housing, and with immigration being encouraged, we should be expanding our housing much faster to cope with the extra demand.

It's just common sense.

Archived