An explanation of why FPTP isnt fair

Thats not what I asked - how many countries use FPTP that involves only one round of voting?

A quick look in wikipedia shows basically no western democracies use the FPTP system we have.

Quote from Electorial Reform Society

" Of the many countries that use FPTP, the most commonly cited are the

UK, the US, India and Canada."

I think those would be most upset, to be thought of as not democracies

Quote from Electorial Reform Society

" Of the many countries that use FPTP, the most commonly cited are the

UK, the US, India and Canada."

I think those would be most upset, to be thought of as not democracies

I did not say no, I said "basically no" - i.e. most western democracies do NOT use the same system as us. Of course that implies some do, but most don't.

:confused: Possibly because their electorate is not comprised of Lib Dems!

right - so you mean they know they are not popular enough to actually win a real majority, so they want to keep hold of a voting system that is rigged in their favour. Well they won't be feeling so pleased at a no vote so much once the Tories adjust the constituency boundaries and they find themselves locked out under FPTP from now on...

Surely the biggest issue of them all is the fact that, for whatever reason, the vast majority of the electorate simply won't get off their backsides and vote? I would imagine that even under AV, there will be the same old whining that candidate XYZ is only supported by 30% of the electorate ... Not much you can do about that when 70% couldn't be bothered in the first place. Over 50% of the votes of 20% of the electorate still aint a great deal of support ... or am I missing something?

Archived