Petrol prices at the pump differ from the prices at the till

I filled up at our local supermarket today. When I left the pump the price was £30.00, I bought a paper (£1.00) and went in to pay. When I got to the till the cost of the petrol was £31.02. When I remonstrated with the cashier (about the two pence overcharge) he just shrugged his shoulders and ignored me, only when pressed further did he acknowledge my complaint and offer to call "some one from the shop".

I was due in a meeting and could not take up his offer, and so left.

He did say that it's only two pence, and this is true. But, if everyone is charged two pence over the price, then the supermarket will make a fortune. This I find unacceptable.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon. This is not the first time this has happened to me either.

I filled up at our local supermarket today. When I left the pump the price was £30.00, I bought a paper (£1.00) and went in to pay. When I got to the till the cost of the petrol was £31.02. When I remonstrated with the cashier (about the two pence overcharge) he just shrugged his shoulders and ignored me, only when pressed further did he acknowledge my complaint and offer to call "some one from the shop".

I was due in a meeting and could not take up his offer, and so left.

He did say that it's only two pence, and this is true. But, if everyone is charged two pence over the price, then the supermarket will make a fortune. This I find unacceptable.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon. This is not the first time this has happened to me either.

If the pump displayed £31.02 when you went back to your car this means that`s how much fuel you had. If it concerns you that much you can contact Trading Standards who will then go and check the petrol stations pumps to put your mind at rest :D

When i replaced the nozzle, the pump price was £30.00 for the petrol. In the kiosk the price was £30.02 for the petrol and £1.00 for the paper. When I checked the pump , it was £30.02. Next time I will take a photo of the pump before i pay.

It's not the two pence, it's the fact that, if every customer is over charged and it goes unchallenged, the supermarket will make a tidy sum from our indifference.

The same can be said for food at supermarkets, low price on the shelf, high price at the till. It seems to be how supermarkets work.

morrisons is really bad for this

if you go to customer services you will be refunded the difference they have to give you the shelf price, tesco is even better they will refund the entire amount for the item and you get to keep the item for free

as for petrol prices its beyond a joke

Archived