Medical Marijuana 'cures' toddler's cancer

I've never understood why marijuana hasn't been utilised medically if it was effective, after all other "street drugs" are commonly used clinically such as heroin, cocaine, methadone and ketamine.

They have a cheek if they are selling it when it can be pruduced for "nothing"

It can't be produced for nothing - in the same way that chrysanthemums, or potatoes or broccoli can't be produced for nothing...

hasn't you mean.

Lack of research probably.

Thanks for pointing out my typo.

If there was a profit in it, I really cannot imagine why the drug companies wouldn't take advantage of such cheap drug to produce.

You don't patent a "formula" for a particular treatment, you patent that formula - while they could add something else to it and patent using them together, they can't stop anyone using any part of marijuana in their own formulas.

They much prefer to own their products completely, because then they don't have to compete on price as they are the only people allowed to make it.

I guess I was looking at the licence to use the drug rather than actually the patent. However, what stops a drug company slightly altering the make up and then patenting it; maybe changing it into a tablet form?

You can't patent a form. If they alter it chemically they can patent that, but if it's effective without the alteration then other companies could just produce the 'generic' version and market it for less.

There's little profit in natural remedies as the barriers to entry are very low.

The race is on to find chemical derivatives of the active compounds in cannabis, and extraction technology which can be patented.

If it works well as an anti cancer drug of some sort, then a patented derivative that does the same could be worth many billions.

The race is on to find chemical derivatives of the active compounds in cannabis, and extraction technology which can be patented.

If it works well as an anti cancer drug of some sort, then a patented derivative that does the same could be worth many billions.

That bloke on 'Run from the cure' was giving it away and helped a lot of people even it seems saved some lives but they made him a criminal ?

It's not fair to make billions from something that can be grown just about anywhere and for next to nothing ( halibut ).

Is that the real reason for it being demonised and made illegal ?

The world is sick.

Archived