Has anyone ever been through an Ebay dispute?

I've a feeling i'm about to go through one! :mad:

I've sold a Next Signature dress, only worn once for a wedding and received a message from the buyer saying that they're not happy as there are black marks on the back and some snagging to the lining. She's says she expects a full refund.

Luckily, I still have my pictures to prove that there were not any black marks what so ever before it was posted and have replied to this effect. I resisted the urge to callk her a lying cowbag!

I've also said that if i'm honest, I did not see any snagging to the lining but would not have thought to check the lining!

I asked her to email me pics of the faults which she has done, and lone behold, some balck marks have indeed magically appeared :suspect:

As for the snagging, the pic she sent does show that there is a tiny snag on the lining but as this is on the inside of the dress, I cannot see how this would effect anything.

I've sent her my pics used to advertise the dress showing no marks and told her that no refund will be made.

What next if she opens a dispute? I've only ever had happy customers so not sure what happens. Will ebay look at my pictures as evidence? I've heard that 9 times out of 10, they rule in favour of the buyer. :mad:

Any advise appreciated. Thank you!

If she disputes for 'Not as described' they will tell her to return it to you. They must return it recorded delivery, to prove that you received it back.

If they try to open a 'Not received' dispute, if you have proof of delivery all is good. Plus, you have messages showing that they did receive it.

Either way, i expect you will have to refund on receipt of the item back. its very biased towards buyers. They won't look at pics. But, if the dress isn't in bad nick, you can always resell again.

I don't fancy your chances tbh, they don't look after sellers at all. I sold a pair of dungarees a few years back which went for a nice sum, the buyer gave me the wrong address and then claimed she hadn't received them, went through a dispute and despite me showing proof of postage and evidence that she had given me the wrong address she was given a refund.

Then low and behold, 6 mths later she had the exact same pair of dungarees for sale, I contacted Ebay and they told me if I wanted to bring it back up I should have done so within 10 days??????

Hope you have better results with them but I doubt it, and to be fair you could have edited the photos (I'm not suggesting you did but ebay and the buyer may do.)

The problem you have, is that she could argue that the pictures you took to advertise the dress were taken before the black marks appeared at your end.

Whereby, eBay selling lesson #259: always put a small piece of paper with your username and the date next to the item you're photographing to sell. Preferably take the photo with the above on the same date you're putting the auction up.

There's a chance eBay will indeed side with her, but you could try and forestall her dispute with your own "feedback extortion" dispute procedure instead. Not saying it will work (at all), but worth a go.

Unfortunately, yes.

Once purchased some hookey - albeit very good quality, if that's not a contradiction in terms - UGG boots off eBay.

It took time to prove the fact, and eBay/PayPal backed my claim, but only to a point.

The seller tried to insist that I send the boots back before even considering a refund, but that would've meant I had no "evidence" (and possibly no refund to boot, pardon the pun!)

In the end, the time limit - 45 days from memory - lapsed, and my particular case got nowhere.

I was in touch with another buyer who got scammed at about the same time. She won her case, and the seller was subsequently "shut down".

Thanks Leah-Lacie, V.Rossi and L00b for your replies.

You all seem to be confirming my thoughts that ebay does side with the Buyer :(

If she hadn't put any marks on it, and was just kicking up a storm in a tea cup for a bit off unseeable snagging, then I would have probably said to post it back at her cost and given her a refund. However, I don't know what the marks are and whether they'll wash out for re-selling purposes.

L00b - What's this feedback extortion you've mentioned...just in case!

I once had a buyer who had a different address from eBay to PayPal, so, as recommended, I posted to PayPal address. Turns out neither of them were her address. She kept messaging me saying 'can you confirm you sent it to 46 *** street?'

I was like, why on Earth would I send it to that address when its not quoted anywhere??? :loopy:

PayPal still ruled I had to resend the item... Good job it was only 99p and I had 1000s of them

Feedback extortion is where the buyers messages you and says things like "if you don't refund me, I'll leave negative feedback!"

If they mention in their messages, in any way, a threat of leaving you negative feedback if you don't meet their demands, its feedback extortion.

Unfortunately, yes.

Once purchased some hookey - albeit very good quality, if that's not a contradiction in terms - UGG boots off eBay.

It took time to prove the fact, and eBay/PayPal backed my claim, but only to a point.

The seller tried to insist that I send the boots back before even considering a refund, but that would've meant I had no "evidence" (and possibly no refund to boot, pardon the pun!)

In the end, the time limit - 45 days from memory - lapsed, and my particular case got nowhere.

I was in touch with another buyer who got scammed at about the same time. She won her case, and the seller was subsequently "shut down".

Nightmare! I'm not holding out much hope all round then of any help from ebay!

Feedback extortion is where the buyers messages you and says things like "if you don't refund me, I'll leave negative feedback!"

If they mention in their messages, in any way, a threat of leaving you negative feedback if you don't meet their demands, its feedback extortion.

Thanks for that, i'll bear that in mind ;)

Archived