Has anyone ever been through an Ebay dispute?

L00b - What's this feedback extortion you've mentioned...just in case!
Can't remember exactly (I went through it a while back now), but just type it in the eBay site search engine, and it should throw up relevant links. Quite straightforward.

I had to do it for the same reason as previously posted by many: the buyer (allegedly) moved addresses between the auction end and the item despatch (3 days :suspect:) and (allegedly) never received the item (someone signed for it, I always send recorded and print out the electronic signature uploaded on the RM website). His eBay/Paypal were matching addresses at the time of auction close and still not changed at the time of the dispute, and that's where it was sent, received and signed for.

The buyer left me a negative right away, never even requested a refund :gag: so I had eBay take care of that under that procedure ;)

It took about 3-4 days, if that. Negative removed, 100% positive (on 400+ over 10+ years) restored - pfiuuh!

The worst thing with eBay is when you don't send with recorded delivery. PO receipt is no good, it has to have online signature. Even worse when you know you sent it recorded, but postie doesn't get a signature. If the buyer wants to say they didn't receive it, they just open a dispute, and unless the online signature is in place, they will get an automatic refund. Gets you mad. Some people do just genuinely use eBay to pull scams. I bet theres loads who get a delivery and think "££££ wooohooo, I didn't sign for this!! ££££" - Open dispute :)

I bet theres loads who get a delivery and think "££££ wooohooo, I didn't sign for this!! ££££" - Open dispute :)
They're probably the ones who never bother to leave positive feedback when they can't pull the scam :D (that gets my goat as well, I'm still "owed" at least 20-25 positives in the past year or so...but then, as a seller, I never leave feedback unless I get it first).

I was selling low priced iPhone accessories, buying them for China for 1p, then reselling for £2 or so. As I was sending about 300 per day, I did expect a few non-receipt claims, as on average about 2% of mail apparently goes missing. However, the amount of negatives I received because peoples screen protectors weren't sticky (as they didn't remove the backing) or their suede pouch got dusty after a few days was unbelievable :hihi:

I know a few people that sell on ebay and have done for a number of years. I've only ever heard of one case where Ebay sided with the seller.

Thing is, siding with the seller means ebay have to give the seller the listing/final value fee back as per their own terms and conditions. Siding with the buyer means they get to keep those fees.

Ebay was/is a great idea but like most great ideas it's downfall is poor management & execution.

I used to use ebay before it became 'big' and you could grab some real bargains. Now it's just full of scammers and shill-bidders.

I know a few people that sell on ebay and have done for a number of years. I've only ever heard of one case where Ebay sided with the seller.

Thing is, siding with the seller means ebay have to give the seller the listing/final value fee back as per their own terms and conditions. Siding with the buyer means they get to keep those fees.

Ebay was/is a great idea but like most great ideas it's downfall is poor management & execution.

I used to use ebay before it became 'big' and you could grab some real bargains. Now it's just full of scammers and shill-bidders.

True, they'd only owe me £2.60 back but to be honest, i'm not bothered about that, they can keep it. I just don't appreciate being set up by the buyer!

I'm always honest when selling stuff so it's really annoyed me.

So far though, no dispute opened and no reply back from the buyer so maybe she's realised she's been rumbled.

I can assure you they do not always side with the buyer, I bought a guitar once and it turned out to be a cheap child's toy, I complained and got nowhere, good luck tho.. :suspect::suspect:

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about that but on the other hand thanks for sharing, it's given me a little bit of hope at least! :)

I've been through it, sold some unused hair straighteners and hair dryer kit , i bought my wife for her birthday last year, my son had also bought her a similar item and she chose to keep his, so I advertised mine on ebay for a cheaper price i paid for them.

I got lots of interest and sold them to a woman in manchester, about a week later i got a email saying she no longer wanted them as they wernt what she was looking for. so i agreed to recieve the items back abd upon recipt i i examined the hait tongues and found the plastic protectors on the heat plates were missing there were slight scratches on the plates and they smelled of hair products aswell as the plastic that protects the pins on the plugs were missing aswell, the woman insisted she hadnt used them at all, I disagreed and said she could have either the goods back or a partial refund for the damage she had done to them.

At this point i thought i'd cover my back and googled for EBAY LIVE CHAT where you can put your concerns to a member of Ebay usa and its all on record, so i told the ebay live chat what had happened and that i wasnt prepared to give her a refund as she had damaged the goods, they agreed with my point of view, but ebay has it proceedures and she had opened a dispute and provided proof that i had recived the goods back EBAY UK then refunded her the full amount and basically said i need to pay that amount back to them.

At this point i went mental and got back on the EBAY LIVE CHAT and asked for a direct number to ebay uk or ebay us which basically is the same number cos they transfer you to the us switchboard anyway, i then explained my case again, she looked through all my contact i had with the buyer where i had offered a partial refund and the reason for it P.S always contact the buyer through the dispute channel as this is what ebay read when looking at your case, they cannot read your emails.

Anyway after about 2 months of chasing and standing my ground Ebay finally refunded me the money, now im not sure whether the buyer got it took off her again or whether ebay have a policy of paying both out in extreme cases but i didnt care.

Oh and one of the factors in Ebnay deciding in my favour was the fact i had contacted them before the buyer had opened a dispute and put my concerns across

Allways make sure you tell them your concerns EVERYTIME you speak to someone from ebay

I can assure you they do not always side with the buyer, I bought a guitar once and it turned out to be a cheap child's toy, I complained and got nowhere, good luck tho.. :suspect::suspect:

Were the sizes dimensions etc mentioned in the description? If they either do clearly state something, or don't state anything, its the buyers fault for not reading the description, or making thorough enquiries, apparently.

For example, if I list a pink top, don't state size, it probably won't sell, but if it does, and the buyer just assumes its size 12 and will fit them, but its size 28, it would be their fault for not asking. If I also said its size 28, but has a hole, and they complain about said hole, its their fault for not reading the description.

Archived