They died for your freedom

it was a regime that was saying they were getting their territory back. which is not a lie.

The reason they attacked the Falklands was to take attention away from the internal problems in Argentina that were getting out of hand

even in that war, they were hardly fighting for 'our freedom' were they?

The Falkanders are british ctizens.

The reason they attacked the Falklands was to take attention away from the internal problems in Argentina that were getting out of hand

The Falkanders are british ctizens.

similar situation here. the war was the best thing ever to happen for Maggie.

The Falkanders are british ctizens

:hihi::hihi: B, you crack me up sometimes.

my point was that the Argentinians were hardly going in pillaging and raping.

Interesting news item kind of related to this:

Charlie Gilmour admits student fees protest violence

He was among thousands of people who protested in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square and was photographed hanging from a union flag on the Cenotaph during the march.

and the best bit:

Gilmour issued an apology the day after the demonstrations, describing it as a "moment of idiocy", and adding that he did not realise the Whitehall monument commemorated Britain's war dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13309662

similar situation here. the war was the best thing ever to happen for Maggie.

The Falkanders are british ctizens

:hihi::hihi: B, you crack me up sometimes.

my point was that the Argentinians were hardly going in pillaging and raping.

Your point isn't anything of the sort, you're wrong so don't try to make a smokescreen with a silly remark.

Your point isn't anything of the sort, you're wrong so don't try to make a smokescreen with a silly remark.

what do you think my point was, B?

the 'silly remark' as you call it was in response to your seeming conviction that i know nothing of history or anything else.

Interesting news item kind of related to this:

Charlie Gilmour admits student fees protest violence

He was among thousands of people who protested in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square and was photographed hanging from a union flag on the Cenotaph during the march.

and the best bit:

Gilmour issued an apology the day after the demonstrations, describing it as a "moment of idiocy", and adding that he did not realise the Whitehall monument commemorated Britain's war dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13309662

yeah, it's happening more and more. kids know less and less about who fought what, where, why, when etc. and don't seem to care. worrying in many respects.

I'm not sure, though, that's necessarily an altogether bad thing.

You dong think it's a good idea that young people don't know about our history ? Why not ?

Btw I hope mr Gilmore didn't swear on a bible because, unless he is thick as two short planks and has devalued all university degrees at a stroke, he was lying. He did it for shock value only.

EDIT : just read on the been that he was studying history at Cambridge !!! And still didn't know !!! Liar or an educational fraud ! Hope he does a bit of stir.

You dong think it's a good idea that young people don't know about our history ? Why not ?

Btw I hope mr Gilmore didn't swear on a bible because, unless he is thick as two short planks and has devalued all university degrees at a stroke, he was lying. He did it for shock value only.

Btw I hope mr Gilmore didn't swear on a bible because, unless he is thick as two short planks and has devalued all university degrees at a stroke, he was lying. He did it for shock value only

it's totally believable that the education system can produce a graduate who's good in their field but knows nothing else. it might be true that he doesn't know. i have friend who has two degrees but asks the silliest question when it comes to history and geography.

you might want to check the wording of my post. i said it's worrying. i also said 'i'm not sure'.

i don't think 'it's a good idea'. i just don't think it's as big a deal as we sometimes make of it.

but, what i was driving at about the 'war heroes' thing and the young'ens not knowing, or particularly caring, might not be such a bad thing. generations shouldn't be held to ransom by those who came before them because they fought a war. it cripples both generations. and, also, i think the cult of the hero only really as someone who went somewhere, shot some people etc (not meaning to devalue the experience) needs to make room for the young'ens realizing there many other sorts of heroes. the type the world really needs now more so than the gunslinger I'd say.

I'd agree they don't all need to be gunslingers, the world has changed alot since 1945. But it shows a level of self sacrifice we really don't see anymore. It also shows a measured level of patriotism which is now often hijacked by right winger nutters for their own ends.

But if some halfwit from oop north with half a dozen gcses knows more about British history than a Cambridge university student studying history, those who died must wonder what the point was.

I'd agree they don't all need to be gunslingers, the world has changed alot since 1945. But it shows a level of self sacrifice we really don't see anymore. It also shows a measured level of patriotism which is now often hijacked by right winger nutters for their own ends.

But if some halfwit from oop north with half a dozen gcses knows more about British history than a Cambridge university student studying history, those who died must wonder what the point was.

not sure that's necessarily the case. i did my history in Zimbabwe and knew more about European and American history than i did my own up until i was here and decided to learn it for myself. it's just the education system. the young'ens don't go out of their way to not know.

it's more on the individual these days. the system produces 'employees', not people with knowledge for the most part.

Archived