They died for your freedom

A very thought provoking thread.

I think the phrase;" Died serving their country" is appropriate.

This way the death of a serviceman or woman can be honoured even if the conflict they were involved in is not supported by others.

A very thought provoking thread.

I think the phrase;" Died serving their country" is appropriate.

I'm not so sure, that implies that their actions are actually in the interests of the citizenry, and not just the few in power. 'Died serving their government' doesn't sound as good though.

I'm not so sure, that implies that their actions are actually in the interests of the citizenry, and not just the few in power. 'Died serving their government' doesn't sound as good though.

The more I think about it and recall what my father and grandfather, who both served in world wars,used to say and my own experiences I wonder.

The more I think about it and recall what my father and grandfather, who both served in world wars,used to say and my own experiences I wonder.

me my dad his dad and his dad all joined for the adventure a sense of duty and to earn a living. my great grandads dad had the choice of jail or the army, im told.

me my dad his dad and his dad all joined for the adventure a sense of duty and to earn a living. my great grandads dad had the choice of jail or the army, im told.

We took an oath to serve queen and country and that is what soldiers are doing when killed on active service.

So the phrase should probably be," Died serving queen and country".

We took an oath to serve queen and country and that is what soldiers are doing when killed on active service.

spot on.

David mulley 20 RIP 18TH MARCH 1986.

I always thought it strange remembering him first rather than any of the others.

And I'm sure you'd agree we can't keep using WWII as a reason to continually recite the phrase "they die(d) for our freedom" as a justification for all following conflicts.

I think it very much depends on the purpose of the conflict, the reasons for going to war and what is hoped to be achieved by it.

I think these are some of the reasons why most people join the armed forces.

When the time comes to fulfill the oath,the idea is to make the other guy die for his country,as General Patton said (in the film anyway).I don't think those on active service think about much more than waking up the next day.

Archived