They died for your freedom

War is part of our evolutionary process, it's innate to a lesser or greater degree to prove we're harder, better, moer intelligent, more powerful than the next man / group / country / race etc etc

...or the powerful class proving it's harder, better and more intelligent than its own subjects, therefore we should follow them unquestioningly into battles of their choosing.

...or the powerful class proving it's harder, better and more intelligent than its own subjects, therefore we should follow them unquestioningly into battles of their choosing.

Arguably more so with the ruling class for obvious reasons, but we have wars over postcodes, drugs, religion and so on which isn't exclusive to the ruling classes.

They most certainly died in WW2 to stop Hitler permanently taking over the whole of Europe. Anyone who thinks differently is in cloud cuckoo land.

Having once been in a war myself i"ll just say that soldiers fight for each other and not much else, not for country or the cause of freedom. It's your fellow soldiers you care about and very little else matters

They died in WW2 because the Government sent them to ! The result being that half of Europe was left to the tender mercies of the Communists for half a century.

At the time Britain had its boot on the throat of a large percentage of the global population so lets not get all moralistic about conquest !

The last part about soldiers fighting for each other is inane ! They are definitely defending themselves and their comrades but ONLY because someone sent them to the front line in the first place !

Are you a citizen of cuckoo land?

No, that's harsh. But it's worth challenging those who just like to think every conflict is about protecting our freedom, or concerned with humanity at all. This kind of blind patriotism and trust in our leaders is dangerous for obvious reasons.

Nothing I disagree with there, although I don't see how it relates to the point I was trying to make about people, bereaved or not, supporting the bogus justification for needless and most likely self interested conflicts that our leaders constantly wheel out.We have to identify and challenge the rhetoric in the first place otherwise we're stuck in the rut of perpetuating the freedom/protection myth for the sake of comforting the bereaved.

What you're saying is you're against war, fair enough and so am I. War is like measles though it's always been around and will probably continue to do so in small conflicts around the globe. rebellions against tyrannical leaders, land disputes, tribal differences, fights over dwindling natural rescources. the ingredients are all there for war to be around indefinitely.

When someone is killed in combat in the present war in Afghanistan who is to say that in fact they did not die for our freedom. The face of the enemy is different now but nevertheless global terrorism threatens our freedoms and in fact has caused us to lose some already. Left to their own devices groups like Al Qaeda and their supporters the Taleban would only be free to plan and carry out attacks against the west therefore as I see it the best policy is to go after them on their own terrirtory and do what's possible to eliminate them.

What you're saying is you're against war, fair enough and so am I. War is like measles though it's always been around and will probably continue to do so in small conflicts around the globe. rebellions against tyrannical leaders, land disputes, tribal differences, fights over dwindling natural rescources. the ingredients are all there for war to be around indefinitely.

When someone is killed in combat in the present war in Afghanistan who is to say that in fact they did not die for our freedom. The face of the enemy is different now but nevertheless global terrorism threatens our freedoms and in fact has caused us to lose some already. Left to their own devices groups like Al Qaeda and their supporters the Taleban would only be free to plan and carry out attacks against the west therefore as I see it the best policy is to go after them on their own terrirtory and do what's possible to eliminate them.

A better policy might be to change Foreign Policy insofar as we foster a relationship with the Muslim World that minimizes interference in their affairs, withdraw unconditional support for the Murderous Zionists and concentrate on securing stable prices and supply of oil.

How come advanced countries with the greatest standard of living such as Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark New Zealand never get involved in these conflicts?

If you don't spend money on a large military presence, you can afford a much better standard of living.

It's about five hundred years since Denmark had any military ambitions of any kind; twice that long at least, for Switzerland, and the New Zealand settlers never did have any beyond subjugating the Maoris.

Although we should point out that New Zealand answered England's call for both world wars, and many of their sons died for our cause. It certainly wasn't their cause.

How come advanced countries with the greatest standard of living such as Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark New Zealand never get involved in these conflicts?

Because they have never been big enough players on the Global Scene to attract the Zionist Lobby to manipulate them into war.

So what would you expect leaders of a country to say to the bereaved?

"You son's life was unnecesarily lost in a war that we shouldn't be sending our soldiers to" That would go down very well wouldn't it ?

People join the service because either they feel they are doing the right thing by serving their country or for the benefits that serving in the military bestow on them. The military hierarchy are your bosses. They train you, keep you fit, take care of your medical requirements, clothe, feed, house and pay you and if you serve long enough award a lifetime pension. Many recruits join up because they're caught up in dead end jobs in civilian life, bored stupid and like the opportunity to see a bit of the world which they couldn't afford to do otherwise. There's also the comradeship factor. The best friends you'll ever make and keep are the guys you served with in the military. There's a special bond that no civilian could ever understand.

When the day comes that you are ordered to a particular theater of operations you pack up your gear and start moving. Very, very few complain because this was expected to happen and is just part of the job.

Sitting out your service time in a barrack room out of harm's way isn't part of the deal and no recruit expects that to happen.

War sucks alright and when yiou've experienced combat it's not something you want to remember much about but armies exist to serve the interests of their country and that's just the way it is. It's part of the contract you agreed to

Families who have lost loved ones deserve to have the respect and consideration they deserve, not a cold douche instead.

Very well put Harleyman, I agree with you all the way on your post. :thumbsup:

Archived