When has humanity been at its most peaceful in history?

It's not just 'when' is it, it's also 'where'.

Up until recently most of humanity has been as geographically separate from each other as the historical separation between ancient Romans and modern Italians. I doubt that any period has been peaceful, but there will have always been societies that have coexisted happily, even during the two world wars.

However, modern media has narrowed this geographical separation. I wonder if this will lead to less peace as societies witness what goes on in the rest of the world with envious eyes, fueled by cultural and religious differences. Or perhaps it will lead to more peace as societies communicate more, trade more, and learn from aspects of other cultures that are better.

Or, is this simply academic navel-gazing on my part as the population heads towards 10 billion with diminishing resources?

:huh:

It's not just 'when' is it, it's also 'where'.

Up until recently most of humanity has been as geographically separate from each other as the historical separation between ancient Romans and modern Italians. I doubt that any period has been peaceful, but there will have always been societies that have coexisted happily, even during the two world wars.

However, modern media has narrowed this geographical separation. I wonder if this will lead to less peace as societies witness what goes on in the rest of the world with envious eyes, fueled by cultural and religious differences. Or perhaps it will lead to more peace as societies communicate more, trade more, and learn from aspects of other cultures that are better.

Or, is this simply academic navel-gazing on my part as the population heads towards 10 billion with diminishing resources?

:huh:

i think the medium term effect of this new mass media and the world being so small will be more understanding and relative 'peace'. we're coming to the end of the first stage where knowing more about other and their way of life engendered mistrust and fear.

the age of Aquarius dawns.

i think the medium term effect of this new mass media and the world being so small will be more understanding and relative 'peace'. we're coming to the end of the first stage where knowing more about other and their way of life engendered mistrust and fear.

the age of Aquarius dawns.

Yes, let's hope that the (mainly young) people in Egypt and Tunisia have shown the way, and that the people of Iran and other places can engineer their own freedoms.

The more of us that are alive the more war we will see.

Indeed, we will see more and more "wars" as space diminishes.

I was refering to the most peaceful time humans have lived through.

In that case, I'd say the first 100,000 years of our existence (cooperation meant survival).

If 95% of people want peace and 5% want war, there will be war.

I like that quote, and will probably steal it in the future.

I can understand that concept, and it is basically how I feel about religion. It might motivate 95% of adherents to be good, but whilst ever there are 5% that are motivated to be bad, then it will be a negative influence overall.

Humanity is more peaceful when it unified in similarity, not separated by difference.

Yes, let's hope that the (mainly young) people in Egypt and Tunisia have shown the way, and that the people of Iran and other places can engineer their own freedoms.

i think that can only bring in a better age if 'we' on the other side agree to meet them on equal terms even if they should choose a path we would rather they hadn't.

In WW1 (1914-1918 ) there were 20 million people killed. That is a lot!

The battle of the Somme only halted when the sides ran out of men to get killed in the battles.:(

beggars belief. war was bloody, and messy and people thought twice before declaring a war. and more so back in the day. these days it's so 'easy' people don't think as much.

Archived