James Cottam, Haulage contractor

fourfive

I remember the two horses that belonged to Cottams in the late 50's.

They were used to pull carts hauling steel for the English Steel Corporation on Carlisle Street.

A favourite trick was for the driver to send the horse down the long sloping ramp into the works, at the bottom the driver would shout for it to return.

On hearing the command, the horse would turn around in the yard and then proceed back up the ramp on facing the work's gate ready to go and fetch another load of steel.

These horses worked very hard but were well cared for, they did an excellent job and everyone loved them.

Mrs Lemm who kept sandwich shop at the corner of Carlisle Steet and Upwell Street used to make the horses a birthday cake every year.

I do believe those horses knew when it was due as they couldn't wait to get it.

During the Work's shutdown in July/August the two horses went on their holidays, this was in afield next to the fishing pond near the Five Arches on Herries Road.

I cannot for the life of me remember their names or the carter who drove.

Maybe someone out there, can tell us.

Happy Days Indeed!

Thinking about Cottam's horses.

Didn't John Truswell Transport talke over the steelworks contract from James Cottam ?

I believe they still used the horses for sometime with Cottam's name on the wagons.

Happy Days

• 6 years later...

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any memories or stories of James Cottam, haulage contractor of upwell street, grimesthorpe during the 30s, 40s 50s? or any years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any memories or stories of James Cottam, haulage contractor of upwell street, grimesthorpe during the 30s, 40s 50s? or any years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not quite the period you were talking about but here is the original James Cottam in his "omnibus" in 1902! Apparently he was the son of Michael & Ann Cottam of Upwell St

JamesCottamomnibus1902.jpg

Here are census returns for James in 1901

jamescottam1901.jpg

and 1911

jamescottam1911.jpg

Not quite the period you were talking about but here is the original James Cottam in his "omnibus" in 1902! Apparently he was the son of Michael & Ann Cottam of Upwell St

JamesCottamomnibus1902.jpg

Here are census returns for James in 1901

jamescottam1901.jpg

and 1911

jamescottam1911.jpg

Hi, johnpm, thanks for the reply, are you in any way related to the cottams?

Hi, johnpm, thanks for the reply, are you in any way related to the cottams?

Not related , just interested as I grew up in Grimesthorpe.

Here are James Cottams lorries along Upwell St:

jamescottamslorries1940-59.jpg

James Cottam's Yard (both taken between 1940 & 1959):

jamescottamsyard1940-1959.jpg

Archived