Torture what is it really?

Ok, what is Torture?

paddy pants down is on news night and he just said water boarding is torture.

he and I for that matter have been water boarded. I saw it then and now as a harsh form of interrogation but not torture.

im not asking if torture is right or wrong, or see any point in disscussing that.

until we debate, what is torture?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1505073/How-the-law-and-UN-define-torture.html

Phew, haven't you had the Chinese Burn ?.:gag:

NO im not saying it should, but im saying just because it could does not make it torture.

isn't torture torture more because of the act not what it could or couldn't do. getting 'information' in the end doesn't negate the fact of the torture. or that someone doesn't get lasting effects.

the after effects i was referring to were an added argument against it, not criteria for a definition, I'd say.

You miss my point. What I mean is that if you justify the use of "interrogation techniques", then you justify it being used against you. If we think it is okay to make a little boy suffer through putting all his weight on one or two muscles <LINK REMOVED>, then we also think it is okay to make a British soldier suffer the same.

I'm trying to keep on track without discussing the morality of making somebody suffer.

The picture looks awful, but does in my opinion not show torture. Yes i would expect some of our our troops to be interrorgated but not tortured.

The picture looks awful, but does in my opinion not show torture. Yes i would expect some of our our troops to be interrorgated but not tortured.

how long would he have to stay in that position before it's torture?

ps-i agree, in it's self the position the guy's in isn't torture. but the blind fold suggest something more sinister. that, in a battle field, not seeing what's going on, knowing your 'enemy, armed to the teeth, is right next to you and can....

addition- think i spoke too soon. that piece of wood is there for no other reason that to cause pain isn't it?

how long would he have to stay in that position before it's torture?

ps-i agree, in it's self the position the guy's in isn't torture. but the blind fold suggest something more sinister. that, in a battle field, not seeing what's going on, knowing your 'enemy, armed to the teeth, is right next to you and can....

addition- think i spoke too soon. that piece of wood is there for no other reason that to cause pain isn't it?

how long? never. its what happens when you cant stay in that stress position that counts. if your moved into another position thats fine. If your beaten its not.

Ok, what is Torture?

paddy pants down is on news night and he just said water boarding is torture.

he and I for that matter have been water boarded. I saw it then and now as a harsh form of interrogation but not torture.

im not asking if torture is right or wrong, or see any point in disscussing that.

until we debate, what is torture?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1505073/How-the-law-and-UN-define-torture.html

Try this link. http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cat.htmail

Water boarding is more than "a harsh form of interrogation." It is torture!

how long? never. its what happens when you cant stay in that stress position that counts. if your moved into another position thats fine. If your beaten its not.

so the guy could stay there indefinitely. and that wouldn't torture coz he didn't crack? don't you the contradiction in the whole thing?

Archived