Torture what is it really?

we seem to be at a point where we have to treat captured enemy according to PACE 1984 plus ammendments. Glad my time is done.

we seem to be at a point where we expect whatever we do to the enemy to be done to us.

wouldn't you agree?

we seem to be at a point where we have to treat captured enemy according to PACE 1984 plus ammendments. Glad my time is done.

I guess you'd prefer to be able to torture people and summarily execute them?

They are human beings just like you...and therefore are entitled to the same respect you would expect yourself. :)

What you appear to lack is basic compassion. Without it we descend into barbarism.

wrong. but hey it gave you the chance to show how what a fantastic human being you are:roll::roll:

we seem to be at a point where we expect whatever we do to the enemy to be done to us.

wouldn't you agree?

Im not for torture, its a futile exercise. I do think the definition of torture is way to wide, ive tried to create a debate on the issue but yet again the issue becomes the Poster not the debate.

We all know what would be done to our troops. the issue is not that.

maybe we should have a complete ban on questioning captured enemy? Would that play better in the media war? I think it would.

Anything that causes physical or mental anguish, which othewise would not take place, to gain information or elicit a required response, which would not otherwise be forthcoming is surely torture.

The truth is I would torture certain members of society quite happily with no remorse so I don't think I am one to be objective on this. I think torture sadly has a place within reason. Having strangely read the history of torture and been fored to watch Eastenders I am an expert.

Meyous - were you genuinely water boarded? Was that part of training? I didn't think it was allowed, which doesn't mean it didn't happen. I am sure all sorts goes on in the forces which as outsiders we can not appreciate or understand and has a need to take place.

I think execution is an easy way out and should be avoided at all costs. If someone has done something so bad then make them suffer but don't kill them.

Im not for torture, its a futile exercise. I do think the definition of torture is way to wide, ive tried to create a debate on the issue but yet again the issue becomes the Poster not the debate.

maybe we should have a complete ban on questioning captured enemy? Would that play better in the media war? I think it would.

I think torture will always happen and our definition will vary. Is dripping water on someone torture? Is telling someone you will kill their family if the don't comply torture? Is debasing them torture? Does what is acceptable vary on a case by case scenario or is it black and white.

I have flexible morals so I go for the case by case approach.

i don't think you've been attacked, as the poster, at all. thought the discussion went pretty well for what it could have been.

'the media war' is sometimes used as an excuse by those who would rather do things in the shadows.

not saying there is no wrong in war, and many times necessary. but the 'casual' and blatant torture like happening in git'mo puts a smear on all of us.

I think torture will always happen and our definition will vary. Is dripping water on someone torture? Is telling someone you will kill their family if the don't comply torture? Is debasing them torture? Does what is acceptable vary on a case by case scenario or is it black and white.

I have flexible morals so I go for the case by case approach.

i agree. there are things i would like to think i'd never do. but, if it came to it, i probably would.

but i don't think torture should be 'routine'.

as for 'dripping water on someone'? I'd say water boarding is more than that.

Archived