If you were raised on egg & chips..

Play footie all day in concord then drank from the stream in the woods when thirsty,relish on bread and if lucky dripping,ma too skint for chips and egg so would have to be just chips.Grip the slot at back of the telly just to watch tv.

Problem with concord was most of it was hill. The Pitch & Putt still there?

Anyone remember the passport to leisure cards?

Yep! All of the above!

Recording the charts was one of my fav pass times, sitting there next to my squarer than square portable cassette/radio player, fingers ready on the record and play buttons just waiting for the DJ to stop rambling on!!!!

Another favourite (much to my Mum's displeasure) was gathering all the rose petals from the garden and poking them into an empty Panda pop bottle to brew my own perfume! After a couple of days you'd got yourself a somewhat swamp like looking 'fragrance'! Just imagine how good I smelt in the 80s!!!:hihi:

Oh, and another favourite pass time....Derelict Houses!

Loved playing in these when we were lucky enough to find one! Our fav one was one just off Greengate Lane on the boarder of High Green/Charlton Brook. Spent many an hour in there we did, convincing ourselves that it was a haunted house and that the only possible reason for it be falling to bits and abandond was that someone surely must have been murdered there!!! :o

Happy days!

Oh, and another favourite pass time....Derelict Houses!

Loved playing in these when we were lucky enough to find one! Our fav one was one just off Greengate Lane on the boarder of High Green/Charlton Brook. Spent many an hour in there we did, convincing ourselves that it was a haunted house and that the only possible reason for it be falling to bits and abandond was that someone surely must have been murdered there!!! :o

Happy days!

Ooooh yes. The pub on Bole Hill Road (Rivelin View?) which had its roof blown off in the big gale in the early 60s. I think there were a couple of houses at the side of it. I can't remember how long it was there before being demolished, but I remember going in a few times. Ditto the old cinema on South Road, between the end of films and it being pulled down. Again, it probably wasn't a long period, but we couldn't miss the chance.

Damming Shirtcliffe Brook.

Venturing beyond the "allowed" boundary into Shirtcliffe Wood to find the fabled source of of the stream.

Swimming and rafting on Treeton Dyke in Summer, walking on the ice in Winter.

And when it was bad weather, playing the Grandstand TV game, and then when it came out - the Atari 2600.

But even when we started to get ZX81s and VIC-20s we still found time to get out.

Ooooh yes. The pub on Bole Hill Road (Rivelin View?) which had its roof blown off in the big gale in the early 60s. I think there were a couple of houses at the side of it. I can't remember how long it was there before being demolished, but I remember going in a few times. Ditto the old cinema on South Road, between the end of films and it being pulled down. Again, it probably wasn't a long period, but we couldn't miss the chance.

Haha! The best fun always had an element of danger too it! Such buildings would be safely cordoned off in a heartbeat these days!

Problem with concord was most of it was hill. The Pitch & Putt still there?

Anyone remember the passport to leisure cards?

Ant been up for 20 years,used to play footie at the bottom of the golf course behind Standon Rd.

Ant been up for 20 years,used to play footie at the bottom of the golf course behind Standon Rd.

Right I think I know where you mean. We used to go on to the golf course at lunch time from Hinde House and look for golf balls.

played in the dirt, got smacked when u misbehaved, had 4 TVchannels & no remote, school day always started with assembly, shops were closed Sunday, watched films without thinking they were real,recorded the top 40 from the radio by blocking the holes on casette tapes, drank water from a hose,didn't know what a Happy Meal was, and still turned out OK. repost

during the holidays all my mom asked of me was that i turn up for lunch and back home 'before it was dark'. otherwise i spent all my time running around breaking bones(mine) and generally doing everything from climbing trees to breaking into other people's pools. that was before i turned teen.

then after that it was everything you've said. except we had two channels. both stopped at midnight. one started at 2000hrs!

oh, and we used to get smacked by any grown up who happened to catch you mid-tomfoolery.

Archived