If you were raised on egg & chips..

during the holidays all my mom asked of me was that i turn up for lunch and back home 'before it was dark'. otherwise i spent all my time running around breaking bones(mine) and generally doing everything from climbing trees to breaking into other people's pools. that was before i turned teen.

then after that it was everything you've said. except we had two channels. both stopped at midnight. one started at 2000hrs!

oh, and we used to get smacked by any grown up who happened to catch you mid-tomfoolery.

:o Wowzer Kaimani! Where did you grow up? Monaco?!!!

We only had puddles where I grew up!

:o Wowzer Kaimani! Where did you grow up? Monaco?!!!

We only had puddles where I grew up!

ha ha. Zimbabwe. it's not that unusual in the parts where i came up to have one. till 2000 you could get a five bed house for 15000 pounds or so, if that. with pool and all. you can still get a ten bed house for hundred grand or so, if that now.

eg- http://www.mondinion.com/Real_Estate_Listings/adid/654599/Zimbabwe--Mashonaland_West--Mashonaland_West--House_for_Sale/

and many much better and cheaper than that.

we were so skint the only hot food we had was a mustard sarnie :hihi::hihi:

:hihi: we had SUGAR sandwiches, can u imagine that!

We didnt have a telly, or a phone. One day i set the chimney on fire, and had to run half a mile to the phone box to ring the fire brigade! - a neighbour had a phone and wouldnt let me use it!

Haha! The best fun always had an element of danger too it! Such buildings would be safely cordoned off in a heartbeat these days!

Also, I remember old mill buildings along rivelin valley - well bits of old stone walls. After a period of many years I went back a few years ago, and they seem to have gone (unless they are just a lot smaller than I remember them).

I don't know if they were "elfandsafetied" away or whether it was just somebody who wanted some cheap stone.

Archived