If you were raised on egg & chips..

ha ha. Zimbabwe. it's not that unusual in the parts where i came up to have one. till 2000 you could get a five bed house for 15000 pounds or so, if that. with pool and all. you can still get a ten bed house for hundred grand or so, if that now.

eg- http://www.mondinion.com/Real_Estate_Listings/adid/654599/Zimbabwe--Mashonaland_West--Mashonaland_West--House_for_Sale/

and many much better and cheaper than that.

I think i'm moving!!!! For one, i'd be like a millionaire out there and secondly, I want to sneak into other people's pools - i feel like i've missed out, only having puddles and that here! :hihi:

Another favourite (much to my Mum's displeasure) was gathering all the rose petals from the garden and poking them into an empty Panda pop bottle to brew my own perfume! After a couple of days you'd got yourself a somewhat swamp like looking 'fragrance'! Just imagine how good I smelt in the 80s!!!:hihi:

I'm a little young to start getting nostalgic, but I used to do this aswell with friends, and then go around the street trying to sell it door to door for 25p a bottle. Some of the older residents often kindly took pity on us and bought a few bottles of our rose petal mush. :hihi:

played in the dirt, got smacked when u misbehaved, had 4 TVchannels & no remote, school day always started with assembly, shops were closed Sunday, watched films without thinking they were real,recorded the top 40 from the radio by blocking the holes on casette tapes, drank water from a hose,didn't know what a Happy Meal was, and still turned out OK. repost

you must be speaking directly to me here :D

played in the dirt, got smacked when u misbehaved, had 4 TVchannels & no remote, school day always started with assembly, shops were closed Sunday, watched films without thinking they were real,recorded the top 40 from the radio by blocking the holes on casette tapes, drank water from a hose,didn't know what a Happy Meal was, and still turned out OK. repost

too reet nowt wrong with those days when we were kids we were never in house always out playing and when we did owt wrong we got a clip for it in fact if we came home from school and said we had had the whack(stick) we got another clip cos me dad (god rest his soul) would say we must have done summat wrong i think and its only my opinion that there aint enough resect anymore i got a clip loads of times and it didnt do me any harm

I had two tv channels on a black and white telly that was a whopping 9" across the screen

I got old lolly sticks to dig the tar out from between cobbles then made tar lollies and tried to get someone to eat it

I used to play by the canal all day and come home covered in oil from the passing ships that I waved like a maniac at then got walloped for being mucky and sent to bed with no tea - I was a bit of a tomboy ;)

I had a little grundig reel to reel tape recorder that someone threw out and my dad picked up for recording the top 40 with a microphone, I didn't get a cassette recorder until I was well into my teens

fast food was toast and scrape, if I was very lucky it had a bit of jam on

bath night was an event in itself taking turns in a tin bath in front of a black lead range the yuppies would kill for today, my eldest brother used to put mice in the oven my mum went mental at him 'cos she had to clean it afterwards, water was heated on the electric cooker in the scullery as we didn't have any other means of making hot water other than the copper and lighting the fire under it was a major exercise so it got lit high days and holidays

we had fun as I remember, wouldn't go back to it by choice though

and here I am today, wicked witch of the forum, stopping you lot having fun :cool:

I had two tv channels on a black and white telly that was a whopping 9" across the screen

I got old lolly sticks to dig the tar out from between cobbles then made tar lollies and tried to get someone to eat it

I used to play by the canal all day and come home covered in oil from the passing ships that I waved like a maniac at then got walloped for being mucky and sent to bed with no tea - I was a bit of a tomboy ;)

I had a little grundig reel to reel tape recorder that someone threw out and my dad picked up for recording the top 40 with a microphone, I didn't get a cassette recorder until I was well into my teens

fast food was toast and scrape, if I was very lucky it had a bit of jam on

bath night was an event in itself taking turns in a tin bath in front of a black lead range the yuppies would kill for today, my eldest brother used to put mice in the oven my mum went mental at him 'cos she had to clean it afterwards, water was heated on the electric cooker in the scullery as we didn't have any other means of making hot water other than the copper and lighting the fire under it was a major exercise so it got lit high days and holidays

we had fun as I remember, wouldn't go back to it by choice though

and here I am today, wicked witch of the forum, stopping you lot having fun :cool:

An Olive Grundig TK 20 I bet. :)

I think i'm moving!!!! For one, i'd be like a millionaire out there and secondly, I want to sneak into other people's pools - i feel like i've missed out, only having puddles and that here! :hihi:

you could. sell the shed here and get yourself a large house. the further in country you go the cheaper.

but, yeah. i too remember freerer days. didn't do your 'perfume' thing. but got into big trouble when i was eight. some smashed the windshield of our car. (i swear, i wasn't me). i took the shattered pieces and went round selling them to the local kids saying they were diamonds. made a killing( £20 in today's money) and would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for some pesky kids.

...I got old lolly sticks to dig the tar out from between cobbles then made tar lollies and tried to get someone to eat it...

Now that's quite inspiringly evil :hihi: . It's also reminded me of the long, hot summers of the mid-seventies, when the landings I used to rollerskate on would melt in places and pop into big, squidgy tar bubbles that would trap your wheels as you trundled over them. The surface would still retain the deflated sacs when the weather cooled down, leaving bumpy bits that the council had to seal and resurface come autumn.

The concrete wall sections on the landings' perimeters were also sealed with tar strips. Great for prodding, rolling and flicking, but got all over your sundress if you inadvertently leaned against them.

Also: bin liners to sledge down the hills in Norfolk Park or, if you were a bit more posh, bendy bits of wood. And bread bags attached to string for kites on windy days.

Scrumpin' oh the sweet forbidden fruit of the late 80's lol

...the last time I Scrumped was..... about 7 months ago :o

Fat bloke up a ladder near midnight, wife hidden away around the corner in the car for a speedy getaway. Later that night so many Cookers in my garage I couldn't fit the van in :)

After revealing our evenings shenanigans to our 3 teenage kids, they looked at us as though we had our heads on back to front.

I can recall most of the above, recording the top 20, before Sing Something Simple came on, that meant bathtime and bed as it was a schoolnight. Holidays were spent in Longley open air swimming baths if we had any money to get in or didn't get caught climbing over. or on Wincobank Hill, Concord Park or sliding down the Donkey Hill in Firth Park in cardboard boxes from Fine Fare.

Kids today don't live they just exist in a world of child overprotection, I feel sorry them after remembering what we got up to.

Archived