Should schools bring back the cane?

If they were to bring it back, they would have to introduce it to the new starters to school. It would be no good introducing it to the year 11s after they have already gone through school without it.

True but those are the ones that need a good whack. :)

It's been thirty-five years since corporal punishment was abolished.

In the last thirty-five years the average standard of pupil discipline in schools has continually got worse.

Someday, it's going to occur to somebody that there might just be a connection.

It's been thirty-five years since corporal punishment was abolished.

In the last thirty-five years the average standard of pupil discipline in schools has continually got worse.

Someday, it's going to occur to somebody that there might just be a connection.

Nah its normal to have a lad smash your head against a wall and the teacher do nothing about it.

If we're ever to advance we need more discipline and respect for authority, but not fear.

Isn't it all about controlling people? Shaping them in to a mold that authority decides is right. There's always this control aspect; because the system is setup wrong and encourages dysfunction and waste.

Seems better to make school optional; or even, have to pay a small amount to attend.

However, I would also do away with the benefits system; and it would be quite possible to starve to death; should one be inclined to consistently be a non-productive member of society and take take take.

If that sounds harsh, tough. I don't believe people who learn and work hard and contribute, should do so for the benefit of people who want to mess around and leech off the state.

So yea, caning people; seems wrong; if someone doesn't want to learn, that is up to them ... but they shouldn't expect people who do want to learn are going to feed them etc.

I agree, respect cannot be demanded and thrust upon people, this is fear, however been too soft doesn't earn respect or install discipline either.

All teachers are too soft but mainly because they are not allowed to do anything even if they wanted to.

I think that unfortunately some parents are so anti-discipline themselves, that in the current culture of having 'rights', bad behaviour takes away teachers' authority in school.

I think the cane is a past and welcome end to an era. But I also think it is time, that within school hours where children are 'loco parentis' teachers should not have to put up with abuse from children, or their parents.

I think it is time for the government to ensure that children do not have the upper-hand when they accuse teachers of unfair discipline, when their behaviour is inexcusable.

I think that unfortunately some parents are so anti-discipline themselves, that in the current culture of having 'rights', bad behaviour takes away teachers' authority in school.

I think the cane is a past and welcome end to an era. But I also think it is time, that within school hours where children are 'loco parentis' teachers should not have to put up with abuse from children, or their parents.

I think it is time for the government to ensure that children do not have the upper-hand when they accuse teachers of unfair discipline, when their behaviour is inexcusable.

It is the teachers that are in loco parentis. Parents themselves would be on dodgy ground legally by physically punishing their children.

Children know that the 'Naughty Step' is the ultimate censure, they therefore act accordingly, simples !

Britain was perhaps the only country in Europe that used the cane on students. That kind of punishment was never used in French schools which i know for a fact.

In my opinion barbaric and harking back to the days of Victorian orphanages. Quite amazing that it survived up until the end of the 1950s

I hope the old bas*ards who laid their canes on my tender young backside are being pursued by demons through the halls of hell

Archived