2011 local election results - the national picture

there was only one resounding result from the election in 2010 and that was a heavy defeat for labour. no matter what they say, they were defeated and this is why they are the only people calling for an election but this is inly by the vocal supporters on places like sf, no labour mp has made this call as they know how stupid it would make them look.

I think we should name and shame the posters on here who claimed that the coalition wouldn't last a month. Then they said 3 months, then six, then a year!

Isn't it funny how nobody on here is talking about the pasting that Labour got in Scotland!

erhem

tbh with the labour defeats in scotland, this may well mean labour would gain no overall increase while the tories have increased their support in england. with the snp majority scotland this could mean independence is on the cards and that would be the end of labour in westminster.

:D

I think we should name and shame the posters on here who claimed that the coalition wouldn't last a month. Then they said 3 months, then six, then a year!

top of the list is Wednesday1

Isn't it funny how nobody on here is talking about the pasting that Labour got in Scotland!

That'll be because the topic is the 2011 local election results. There have been no local elections in Scotland.

That'll be because the topic is the 2011 local election results. There have been no local elections in Scotland.

That's true, but that's down to my incompetence. I did intend this topic to include the Welsh and Scottish votes.

If the Scottish results were to be replicated in a hypothetical general election, Labour's position would be even worse than it is now, and even the most left-wing of Lib Dems would have to admit it was a choice between getting some policies through in a coalition, or getting nothing through and the Tories ruling. Indeed, they might not even have the choice; the Tories might win it outright.

Labour have captured Bury council after a cable-tie voted for them!

With 25 Labour councillors, 20 Conservative and five Lib-Dems, the last remaining seat was dead-heated between the Labour and Tory candidates. The drawing of the longest cable tie ensured victory by lot, and the Labour candidate was the lucky winner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13305738

The Conservatives have held all 39 of the councils they were defending (out of those 75) and have actually gained a small number of councillors.

Last night the BBC was saying that eleven hundred Tory councilors gone would be a disaster, and 700 gone a Tory victory, with anything between a draw, yet today when the Tories have actually gained 130+ councilors there is no mention anywhere of a stunning Tory victory?

Just a thought.

That's true, but that's down to my incompetence. I did intend this topic to include the Welsh and Scottish votes.

If the Scottish results were to be replicated in a hypothetical general election, Labour's position would be even worse than it is now, and even the most left-wing of Lib Dems would have to admit it was a choice between getting some policies through in a coalition, or getting nothing through and the Tories ruling. Indeed, they might not even have the choice; the Tories might win it outright.

Fair enough. However, I'm not sure the Holyrood parliament elections would be replicated in a Westminster election. People who vote SNP may well vote Labour purely to try and keep the Conservatives out. Having said that, there was a time when a tailor's dummy could have been elected in many Scottish constituencies and this is no longer the case.

Fair enough. However, I'm not sure the Holyrood parliament elections would be replicated in a Westminster election. People who vote SNP may well vote Labour purely to try and keep the Conservatives out.

They know that doesn't work. England is so solidly Conservative that even if every single Scottish MP was Labour, you still wouldn't get a Labour government.

Archived