2011 local election results - the national picture

Labour are a joke. Been in opposition for a year and still got no policies of their own they just attack the government.

Did anyone see Andy Burnham and Miliband pathetically begging for Lib Dems to come and join them yesterday? Have they learnt nothing?

Did anyone see Andy Burnham and Miliband pathetically begging for Lib Dems to come and join them yesterday? Have they learnt nothing?

I think when the tories started the day with almost 50% of council seats and controlling 2/3 of councils with one party in overall control, they might have expected to lose the odd one. The fact that they gained seats as well as increasing the number of councils they control gives Milliband an awful lot to think about.

Given that the Labour party also took a pasting in the Scotish elections means those that thought Milliband was the man to lead the party also have a lot to think about too.

I'm convinced that Milliband was chosen to be the fall guy. Labour won't be ready for government for a good few years and whoever is in charge now won't be in charge then. Like I said before, he's their Menzies Campbell or Ian Duncan Smith.

I'm convinced that Milliband was chosen to be the fall guy. Labour won't be ready for government for a good few years and whoever is in charge now won't be in charge then. Like I said before, he's their Menzies Campbell or Ian Duncan Smith.

I'm not so sure. The problem Labour have is the unions have too much say in who becomes leader, so they elected the wrong one. Still they have a lot to think about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/election2011/council/html/england.stm

Labour are a joke. Been in opposition for a year and still got no policies of their own they just attack the government.

that's the point of being in opposition.

an opposition party doesn't need policies at this stage of the parliament, they only need general statements about what they would or would not do.

as the election gets closer then the polices can be defined and firmed up taking into account the current economic, social and astrological situation

I dont think you understand.75% of what we wanted , not 75% of what the Tories wanted. It is a coalition.

if the tories contribution is 60% then there is something like 35% must be an overlap between the two parties which sounds pretty right wing to me

that's the point of being in opposition.

an opposition party doesn't need policies at this stage of the parliament, they only need general statements about what they would or would not do.

as the election gets closer then the polices can be defined and firmed up taking into account the current economic, social and astrological situation

I wondered why they gave the Tories and the SNP such a kicking. What a pity that the electorate don't know the rules.

Archived