Would you buy your family childhood home?

What, all of them?

We lived in 6 houses from when I was about 5 until I left school.

A couple of them were OK - but I couldn't afford to buy either of them.

The first house my wife and I bought was on the market about 10 years ago - for 10 times what we'd paid for it 20 years before that. Ridiculously over-priced. I would've considered buying it for half that price ...well, maybe.

Yes, it has a large garden, enough bedrooms, and is near two great schools.

Exactly the reasons my mum and dad bought it, and why they still live there - although the schools aren't so important now :)

EDIT - the mortgage it was bought with in 1979 was one my parents thought worrying large at the time, but they went ahead anyway. My dad has never earned much above an average salary, despite my view that he is a genius at what he does. Anyway - by 1990, 11 years after buying that house, he was earning almost the entire value of his mortgage per year.

I think a similar house to theirs, but with a much smaller garden, recently sold for about £200,000. What chance a salary a little but not much above average being about £200k in 2022? None, I'd say.

We'd buy our childhood homes because, on average, they're way better than we can afford, and so are probably nicer houses than we live in. That and the fact that we didn't have a care in the world when we lived there.

Dear God no. Not even with rose-tinted specs and the misty haze of twenty years away. Stripping off the wallpaper to find the paper pasted there when you were seven? Stumbling upon long-forgotten boxes of dusty memories? No thanks. Too many lively ghosts. I'm a firm believer in the notion that you should never go home again, and certainly not literally.

Archived